Any downsides to anti reversion mufflers/devices?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

skinny z
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Any downsides to anti reversion mufflers/devices?

Post by skinny z »

lc-gtr-1969 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:36 pm
I do not think these AR Chambers are quite the same as termination boxes, both may help minimise reversion for obvious reasons, but as you suggest, I am not sure the AR chambers have the volume or dramatic change in area that a termination box will have to induce the engine thinking it has open headers.

If I could fit a termination box I would run one but room is quite tight under there...
I'm of the same thinking.
As for packaging, try fitting that under a 3rd gen f-body. And a lowered one at that.
That said, I can forgo the chambers and easily run an open header for the full effect. Which is something I hope to experiment with this test and tune season. That would be via cutouts at the appropriate distance from the collector.
Kevin
emsvitil
Pro
Pro

Post by emsvitil »

I don't see why you couldn't combine the AR with a termination box by extending the pipe a ways into the termination box............
Ed
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

emsvitil wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:43 pm I don't see why you couldn't combine the AR with a termination box by extending the pipe a ways into the termination box............
That's how I've done mine; I just tend to blow them up unless the engine is mild.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

Does anyone know of any examples of highly developed performance engines that have these devices?

Motorcycles?
Exotic cars?
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:46 pm Does anyone know of any examples of highly developed performance engines that have these devices?

Motorcycles?
Exotic cars?
These engines don't tune or run at a low enough rpm to benefit..
IMHO anti reversion chambers will work best at relative low rpm and relative restricted inlet applications.
eg: 2bbl dirt oval engines.
Anything where running better at part throttle matters.
Especially if cammed with a tight LSA cam.
Eg: oval track. Anything where a wider powerband with added low rpm torque is better (auto trans, limited #of gears, limited torque converter stall choice), and WOT carb capacity (cfm) is limited.
Typical cammed up street/strip engines.
Last edited by F-BIRD'88 on Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

May be some benefit on *some* turbocharged applications.
A cammed Harley bike engine with 2 into 1 headers may benefit.
A low cost alternative to a proper custom merge style header collecter with spear and correct collector choke design. Gives some of the gains of that.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

May show some benefits on applications where the headers primary tube lengths are shorter than optimum.
EG: "mid length headers" Especially at part throttle.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Resulting changes in the amount of recycled exhaust gas (passive EGR effect) by reduced exhaust reversion with a added anti reversion device will probabily need changes to reoptimize the overall ignition timing curve. A reduction in recycled exhaust gas "dilution" say at part throttle will tend to speed up fuel burn time. EGR effect tends to slow combustion burn speed.
A engine tune that makes use of passive EGR may become more knock sensitive at some driving modes.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 8:10 pm
SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 1:46 pm Does anyone know of any examples of highly developed performance engines that have these devices?

Motorcycles?
Exotic cars?
These engines don't tune or run at a low enough rpm to benefit..
IMHO anti reversion chambers will work best at relative low rpm and relative restricted inlet applications.
eg: 2bbl dirt oval engines.
Anything where running better at part throttle matters.
Especially if cammed with a tight LSA cam.
Eg: oval track. Anything where a wider powerband with added low rpm torque is better (auto trans, limited #of gears, limited torque converter stall choice), and WOT carb capacity (cfm) is limited.
Typical cammed up street/strip engines.
Has the mechanism by which these work been determined or is this just speculation?

I am not aware of evidence that they actually change reversion.
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

Motorcycles?
Exotic cars?
4-Stroke MX bikes
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

408swinger wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:45 am

Motorcycles?
Exotic cars?
4-Stroke MX bikes
Can you post an example?
408swinger
HotPass
HotPass

Post by 408swinger »

Ktm and Husky 450s. Possibly others but I ride a 2-Stroke and don't keep up on all the new model 4-Strokes . Actually I spend more time researching old Maicos like my 490 Alpha 1.
I can tell you I see those power bulges on most 4-Strokes I see on the track or trail.
2Quickrides

Post by 2Quickrides »

FMF swears by them on the 4 strokes. Just the Megabomb header made noticeable difference in low and mid range on a Honda 250 4-stroke (that was already known for it's low and mid range unlike the new ones)
lc-gtr-1969

Post by lc-gtr-1969 »

emsvitil wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 7:43 pm I don't see why you couldn't combine the AR with a termination box by extending the pipe a ways into the termination box............
If it doesn't fit... basically the reason I didn't do a termination box with the anti reversion...
Fumbling around in the shed...
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

408swinger wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 10:15 am Ktm and Husky 450s. Possibly others but I ride a 2-Stroke and don't keep up on all the new model 4-Strokes . Actually I spend more time researching old Maicos like my 490 Alpha 1.
I can tell you I see those power bulges on most 4-Strokes I see on the track or trail.
Brief search indicates that it is a resonance chamber, didn't find anything about anti reversion.
In fact if it is a resonator, chances are that it actually returns beneficial reversion like a 2-stroke pipe does.