ford 460 dome piston

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
ford 460 dome piston

Post by rebelrouser »

about 6 years ago I helped a guy build a 460 ford for a pump gas pulling truck class. He was on a budget so I used a sealed power L-2443NF .030 piston in the build. He actually does pretty good with the truck, and it was still running after 6 years. last night he burnt a piston, and to my research this piston is no longer made. By some chance do any Ford guys on the forum know somebody that might have a couple laying around, or know a source to get some? Trying to get it back together quick, as he is actually leading in the points for this year. He seldom wins a hook but always seems to place in the top three or four each event.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Re: ford 460 dome piston

Post by Baprace »

Paul Kane

Re: ford 460 dome piston

Post by Paul Kane »

Be aware that the features of the L2443 dome top piston changed several times over the years. It would be ideal to find one with similar features but if that’s not possible then I suppose weight matching whichever other version you end up with will suffice (dome was always 0.339” tall).

From the original L2443 offering byTRW to Federal Mogul (Speed Pro), the revisions include:

~Skirt tang shortened
~Intake valve relief depth (and pierce point?) altered
~Square cut clip grooves changed to round wire clip grooves
~Skirts coated
~First Made in USA then Made in India
~(More)

For my personal tastes, the big change is when the square cut clip groove went away (can’t run spirolox with round wire clip groove). Keep an eye out on eBay and 460 Engine build forums. PS: they were once private labeled as part number 7065P and sold as (I think) a CP piston.
We're On The Web; Click Below:
High Flow Dynamics
Performance Components for the 429/460 Engine Family