General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BillK
Guru
Guru

Re: sbc cam bearings installation????

Post by BillK »

Gary,

Like the others have said I have problems with probably one out of ten blocks. Mopars seem the worse but all of them have bad ones.

All I want to add is that I always put the bearings in one at a time, starting with the rear one and I put the cam in after each bearing is installed. That way if you do have a tight or out of line bearing you will know which one it is.

I have used Durabond bearings almost exclusively for years and don't have any issues with them.

If you have someone that grinds cranks they should have a good set of Vee blocks to check the cam on for straightness. I put them up on my crank balancer and check them with a dial indicator.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
garym

Post by garym »

I received the v blocks today and put the billet roller cam on the v blocks, put my dial indicator on the center cam journal. The runout was over .009 on the center cam journal, I checked the #2 cam journal and it was over .012 .So I guess that is the problem.I would say that this cam is worthless and I really do not have many runs on the engine.I do not think that this cam could straightend. Any ways thank you for all the replies. garym
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

---this is my story about straightening camshafts
------------------------------------------------------------
-Straightening cast iron or billet steel cams is easy with a air hammer and a concave curve that's been rounded off----on about a 1" wide x 3/16" thick nose air chisel.

-I made up a set of V-blocks ---could use'm on a mill table or adapt'm to like a piece of aluminum with one slot for an adjustment length to allow various cam lengths.

-I found to use a air pressure regulator----start with the air pressure to the air hammer at about 40psi.

-roll the cam on the v-blocks and find the lowest journal--mark it on the low side of each of the center journals how much it's off.

-roll the high side down---start right next to the lowest journal and rattle it straight down about 6 to 10 shots---and recheck it.

-If you have the dial indicator set up on the cam while you are air hammering the cam---it's a good idea to hold onto the dial indicator stem so the air hammer doesn't ruin the indicator.

-after you get an idea of what the first short burst did--then you can proceed and work both side of the lowest cam journal----and work further away like in between the lobes.

-the low spot on the cam will come up towards the air hammered area.
----------------------------------------------------------
-I can say that I've purposely air hammered .060" of bend into cast and billet cams that I was using for testing----and they will come right back and you can get'm to read less than half a thou.

-BUT---when you have a lobe that has been hit with a connecting rod during an engine blowup----it's a real challenge to move one or two lobes & base circles back into alignment.
-----------------------------------------------------------
--this is one set of V-blocks I made for my mill---but I don't like the idea of air hammering on my mill.
V-blocks set up for checking cams.jpg
---I have also built another pair of V-blocks that slide in slots in about a 40" long piece of 6x2 channel iron
---this allows me to do short Subaru's to long inline 6 cylinders on my work bench.

--this is a thread about straightening cams on speedtalk from back in about 2010.

viewtopic.php?t=19803

-
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
allencr267
Pro
Pro

Post by allencr267 »

Push it.
No reason you can't try to make it straight or at least straighter!
Lean on the high spot and see if the runout's down.
//
//
Thank you Bill, more into science instead of us using a broomstick or C-clamp. :?
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Post by bill jones »

---this is my V-block fixture I use for straightening camshafts--and the air hammers I use and the curved air chisel.
---I built a slider bar along the side for the dial indicator---the slider is made of Teflon and slotted so I can remove & replace the dial indicator off that slider bar quick & easy while I use the air hammer.
---this particular cam is a brand new General Kinetics----about 30 years old---and it shows .004" warp just from sitting in the box all those years.
---personally I would NOT consider trying to press any cast cam for any reason---I'd suspect they'd break with not much of a pressing tweak.
---I have seen a steel billet roller cam where one lobe was bent from a part getting wedged in there from a engine disaster---that was pressed on pretty hard to get that one lobe back into position---then normal straightening applied to get the cam journals and the basecircles all back in line.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.