it it worth running a shorter duration solid flat tappet?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cv67
Guru
Guru

Re: it it worth running a shorter duration solid flat tappet?

Post by cv67 »

if you just have to have a solid then get a new set of those locknuts if ysing a stock rocker arm.
Then you wont be adjusting them all the time like that repeated stuff you hear.
Id do it just for the sound alone
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

^^^Sound advice^^^
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

For a off the shelf street solid cam try this one.
Comp cams Magnum 282s-10 #12-223-4
These Magnum street solids are designed and intended
For the end user (you) to allow variation in cam installed phasing position "advance" and allow varyong the valve lash +/- to get the powerband effect you are after.

Decreasing the valve lash a bit from cam card increases running duration and overlap for more "MEAT"
Eg:try around .016-.018" lash
Or...

While opening up the valve lash a bit (up to say .030")
Has the opposite effect reducing running duration and overlap. Less "meat".

Further you can also play with cam installed position. +/-
Within reason.

Want a bit more low end torque bias, advance the cam a bit more from cam card 106-114 (110LSA)
Say around 103-104° ish for effect.
Typically a bit more low midrange hit.
Or...
Want to shift the engine power band bias up a bit putting the torque bias on the top end more, retard the cam a bit say
110/110 " straight up " .

With a street friendly solid cam like this one you cam
Adjust how much and where-when (rpm) the "Meatiness"
Is too good effect.

This is a tuner (you) responsive street solid cam.
Try it.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:53 pm Decreasing the valve lash a bit from cam card increases running duration and overlap for more "MEAT"
For those of you, that find these technical terms, too advanced, let me dumb it down for you.

Decreasing valve lift from what's recommended on the cam card, will give you a very small increase in power above peak torque. It will also hurt power below peak torque. Besides that, it will reduce vacuum, and idle quality.

:roll: Hope that helped. If posters keep using such advanced terms as "more meat", I'm going to have to move this to the Advanced Engine Tech forum. :roll:
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

CamKing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:14 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 1:53 pm Decreasing the valve lash a bit from cam card increases running duration and overlap for more "MEAT"
For those of you, that find these technical terms, too advanced, let me dumb it down for you.

Decreasing valve lift from what's recommended on the cam card, will give you a very small increase in power above peak torque. It will also hurt power below peak torque. Besides that, it will reduce vacuum, and idle quality.

:roll: Hope that helped. If posters keep using such advanced terms as "more meat", I'm going to have to move this to the Advanced Engine Tech forum. :roll:

"Meat" and "meatiness"...those terms may give the uhhhhh...wrong impression.
dustinm

Post by dustinm »

CamKing wrote: Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:14 pm

You just need to limit him to one post per day.