Flowing intake manifolds?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

EDC
Expert
Expert

Flowing intake manifolds?

Post by EDC »

Not sure if this is a spoof or if this guy is serious...

"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
Joe-71
Pro
Pro
Re: Flowing intake manifolds?

Post by Joe-71 »

I've been porting those since 1987 when I first cut the plenum apart and ported it, flowed it on a special fixture, welded it back together, and had it run on dyno test for Super Ford Magazine. I have many of those intakes including the A-58 351W lower on vehicles all over the US. Cut the Cobra/Explorer upper apart and ported, welded back together so that you can't tell it has been touched. Easy to get the GT-40 style lowers to flow 330 cfm, and the TF can easily go 430 cfm which is too big for anything but a 434-460 SBF unless it is boosted. I have the original 5.0 lowers flowing 305cfm, and the upper flowing 290 cfm after cutting, porting, welding back together through a 70 MM throttle body. Several intakes on Stock Eliminator cars. Joe-JDC
Joe-71
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

Joe-71 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:37 am I've been porting those since 1987 when I first cut the plenum apart and ported it, flowed it on a special fixture, welded it back together, and had it run on dyno test for Super Ford Magazine. I have many of those intakes including the A-58 351W lower on vehicles all over the US. Cut the Cobra/Explorer upper apart and ported, welded back together so that you can't tell it has been touched. Easy to get the GT-40 style lowers to flow 330 cfm, and the TF can easily go 430 cfm which is too big for anything but a 434-460 SBF unless it is boosted. I have the original 5.0 lowers flowing 305cfm, and the upper flowing 290 cfm after cutting, porting, welding back together through a 70 MM throttle body. Several intakes on Stock Eliminator cars. Joe-JDC
I've done my share of these stock manifolds back in the eighties but flowing a lower only, and at 5 in/H2O is a bogus test. A straight piece of pipe is about as relevant. Put the upper and lower together and bolt it to a known cylinder head.... try that.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I think you would have to have a good bit of data to use intake flow numbers by them selves, I learned early in my porting days if you keep making them bigger they keep flowing more and it works great if you are trying to kill shift recovery. :)
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

I always do flow the upper bolted to the lower after porting both, and I balance each runner to within 3-4% flow of each other, even through the plenum and throttle body. I have found over the years that for the package to work, the lower manifold on the E7 style had to flow near 300 cfm for the plenum to be able to flow 260-280cfm bolted together due to all the turns. I also found that the inner ports need to be shorter than the end ports for the flow to equalize through the whole manifold. I always flow at 28" on my SF-600 Flow bench. Joe-JDC
Joe-71
BLSTIC
Expert
Expert

Post by BLSTIC »

I'm seeing data but not a real test.

I would have expected a manifold comparison to at least flow each runner with the manifold assembled, not just pick the least bendy factory runner. Additional measurements like port csa and length would be nice as well, and a comparison to stock for extra points.