Eldebrock Carbs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
Eldebrock Carbs

Post by vht »

I have a 427 BBC with a hyd roller in my 28 sedan. I'm running a tunnel ram with 2 1850 600 Holleys. I've never been a carter carb fan but you see alot of them on street TR set ups. Which one would I need to have some performance and run decent on the street? I know nothing about them and after looking I didn't know they made so many different ones. Anyone running 2 of them with any luck?
Steve K
HotPass
HotPass

Re: Eldebrock Carbs

Post by Steve K »

I have two 1405's on my 427 SBC Tunnel Ram as well as on my 406 SBC Tunnel Ram. Went with the lightest step up springs and went with thinner than stock metering rods although I can't remember the part number and my eyes are shot so can read what's on the rod itself. In any case both have excellent street manners and throttle response. The 427 did 660/600 hp/tq. Never dyno'd the 406 with the TR but it is a 540 hp engine with a 750 holley and Vic jr. I drive these cars all the time and they are very manageable. Never ran Holley's so can't compare power vs eddy's but my engines certainly don't lack for power
79 Cmaro, 427 sbc, Tunnel Ram Dual Quad with Eddy carbs, AFR 210 Race Ready heads, 263-272 @.50 Comp solid roller cam, 4.10's and a faceplated Tremec TKO 600.
65 Beaumont 406 tunnel ram faceplated TKO600
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

most of the wedge mopar nostalgia super stocks run a pair of them. With a little work they run fine. Several in our group have run in the 8's with a pair of them. I run a pair of the 750's on my car.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Recomend for your purpose 2 of the Edelbrock 650 AVS2 carbs #1905.
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

Edel/Carter. Great carbs, veeeeery underrated. Agree with FB 88. Use the new 650 AVS2 which has annular pri boosters for improved response. Secondaries have an adjustable air valve.
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

If me I would find a set of Mopar Maxwedge AFBs.Just rejet for inline application.Tom
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

If for a max effort thingy where absolute max power is the goal
Look at the eddy 750 afb and the eddy 800 avs2 carbs.
Edelbrock needs to bring out a "Vic JR" racing carb version. Or even a racer friendly billet chokless carb top and boosters with swappable orifices for tuners/racers who want max perf .
tjs44
HotPass
HotPass

Post by tjs44 »

I think the 3705 AFBs are 750 carbs.IMO way better quality than the E carbs.Tom
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

I didn't pay close attention to the details of the AVS project but, the new boosters did make a huge improvement.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Developing a single carb body 6 barrel version with 2 outboard AVS progressive secondaries sides and single 2v center primaries
Is a logical design progression to compete with Holley 4500 carbs. Especially on dual quad/tunnel ram apps.
Also very relevant to big Cid big power single carb street motors .
Steve K
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Steve K »

I forgot to mention I also removed the choke plates on all the carbs which has to be worth at least 60 hp :mrgreen:
79 Cmaro, 427 sbc, Tunnel Ram Dual Quad with Eddy carbs, AFR 210 Race Ready heads, 263-272 @.50 Comp solid roller cam, 4.10's and a faceplated Tremec TKO 600.
65 Beaumont 406 tunnel ram faceplated TKO600
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

A pair of the 500 cfm Edelbrock carbs which are designed for dual carb use would be perfect on that application. Spend the time in the catalog to get the correct carbs. You want the ones that say for dual carb use since they are calibrated differently. You don't need anything larger than the 500 cfm carbs for that engine. I've run the dual 500's on a lot of big block engines and they work really, really well.

Do a back to back test and you'll be amazed at how much better the engine will idle with the Edelbrock carbs. I've done the Holley to Edelbrock conversion a bunch of times on street engines and the idle quality always improves so much that you can immediately notice the difference in how the engine sounds. Evidently the Edelbrock idle circuit design is far superior to the Holley idle circuit. WOT results are usually the opposite but that usually doesn't matter on a street engine.
Andy F.
AR Engineering
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The 500's are set up for DualQuad use, not for tunnel ram.
And will leave power on the table on a tunnel ram too.

The 650 and the 750 and the 800 carbs make more power on a tunnel ram than the 500's do ,even on a street motor.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:26 pm If for a max effort thingy where absolute max power is the goal
Look at the eddy 750 afb and the eddy 800 avs2 carbs.
Edelbrock needs to bring out a "Vic JR" racing carb version. Or even a racer friendly billet chokless carb top and boosters with swappable orifices for tuners/racers who want max perf .

I agree ... an AFB style carb with no choke and a completely redesigned, low restriction air entry using a "pull-over" power system; not metering rods.

Years ago, I made one like that which worked absolutely great but, was a very tedious job. People should be able to go buy that already done.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
andyf
Guru
Guru

Post by andyf »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:23 pm The 500's are set up for DualQuad use, not for tunnel ram.
And will leave power on the table on a tunnel ram too.

The 650 and the 750 and the 800 carbs make more power on a tunnel ram than the 500's do ,even on a street motor.
Who cares? It is a 427 in a street rod not a Pro Stock car. The dual 500's will be more than enough. That engine probably won't be pulling more than 700 cfm at wide open throttle and more likely than not, the car will never be at WOT long enough for it to matter. Nobody wants to actually drive a street rod with a dual quad 427 at WOT for more than a few seconds anyway.
Andy F.
AR Engineering