Eldebrock Carbs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Re: Eldebrock Carbs

Post by Geoff2 »

What is better about the quality of the Carter v the Edel AFB/AVS? I have used both & see no difference. And why would you change from the metering rod system for power enrichment? It is simple, reliable & easy to re-calibrate.
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

They are all just fuel delivery devices no matter who's name is on them. For a streetrod I would go with a Carter/Edelbrock almost every time. They are a 'set 'em and forget 'em' carb. No gaskets below the fuel level to give you trouble, no rubber diaphragms to crack and leak. About the worst I've seen is an accelerator pump check ball will stick after sitting all winter and a shot of carb cleaner fixes that. A couple of 500's on a Tunnelram for the street work great. If it's drag race only a pair of 750 or 800's will fit the bill nicely.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
Powertrip
Pro
Pro

Post by Powertrip »

I bought one of the new Edelbrock 800 avs2 just for the new annular primary boosters. Tried them on my bench, those huge annular boosters stuffed up the primary venturies and were down 30 cfm compared to stock boosters. :shock:
Edelbrock advertises them as great for throttle response, I have no issues with throttle response with my modified carbs, probably great for a grocery getter, though. :roll:
I immediately sent it back. [-X
The price of progress is trouble.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Geoff2 wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:13 am And why would you change from the metering rod system for power enrichment? It is simple, reliable & easy to re-calibrate.
Because those rods & vacuum pistons are in the way of having a good radius, low restriction air entry ... that is the only reason.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:38 pm Developing a single carb body 6 barrel version with 2 outboard AVS progressive secondaries sides and single 2v center primaries
Is a logical design progression to compete with Holley 4500 carbs. Especially on dual quad/tunnel ram apps.
Also very relevant to big Cid big power single carb street motors .
No way anyone would invest in that.
No way that would ever break even.
That is a multi-year project that might cost over a $million to get into production.

For a non-existent manifold that has no demand.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:07 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:38 pm Developing a single carb body 6 barrel version with 2 outboard AVS progressive secondaries sides and single 2v center primaries
Is a logical design progression to compete with Holley 4500 carbs. Especially on dual quad/tunnel ram apps.
That is a multi-year project that might cost over a $million to get into production.

Maybe he could work up a business plan and pitch it on “Shark Tank”.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
vht

Post by vht »

I just found a 1405 and a 1406 for $200 shipped. They haven't been off the car very long and from what I found the kits are cheap. Since I know nothing about eddys what do you all recommend buying for tuning purposes? I've got a ton of stuff for holleys, nothing for these though.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:07 pm

Your line of thinking is why companies go broke.
Its not rocket science and these 6v carbs based on
The 4v avs2 carbs will have many common parts.
And can bolt on existing 4bbl manifolds with a adapter.
Dedicated new manifolds are just tooling revisions .
Not that hard.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

A proof of concept prototype could be fabbed up on a modified dual quad manifold using 6 of 8 barrels of 2 4barrel eddy carbs. Then also tested on single 4 bbl race manifolds , on a adapter. Of course a dedicated manifold would be ideal. Not a big deal.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

I believe a passion for understanding carburetors is a form of dementia, somewhat of a trigger for Tourette Syndrome, or such like. Some of us have it for better or for worse than others.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:26 am A proof of concept prototype could be fabbed up on a modified dual quad manifold using 6 of 8 barrels of 2 4barrel eddy carbs. Then also tested on single 4 bbl race manifolds , on a adapter. Of course a dedicated manifold would be ideal. Not a big deal.
Interesting how people that have never developed or marketed a manifold "know" how easy it is.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:26 am A proof of concept prototype could be fabbed up on a modified dual quad manifold using 6 of 8 barrels of 2 4barrel eddy carbs. Then also tested on single 4 bbl race manifolds , on a adapter. Of course a dedicated manifold would be ideal. Not a big deal.
After you fab it and spend more time modifying it to work well so it becomes great, then the journey starts.
Now find an investor who is willing to spend a hundred thousand dollars or probably more to cast it, machine it and get it in the market place in hopes that you can sell enough to people who are very skeptic about it simply desiring that you at least break even; let alone make any money.

Been there ... not everyone will see it as the next great thing and you are left holding the bag, thousands of dollars in debt and wasted man hours of development ... the worst part is that it was GREAT for its application, which just not enough other people wanted.

Going that route more than once is simply a main reason why small manufacturing companies go broke.

Now it's your turn to enter that merry-go-round and take that chance ... put your time & money where your mouth is.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

This is based on Edelbrock doing it, not me.
Tuner
Guru
Guru

Post by Tuner »

^^ If 0bama had a son, and the kid was a hotrodder, he would spend OPM until it ran out while the dreams of his father are left undone. ^^^

It's always fun to build hotrods when somebody else pays the bills. =D>
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:22 am This is based on Edelbrock doing it, not me.
Edelbrock has the level of success they have because they explicitly do not do the type of projects you suggest.

As a general rule the further a product is from ordinary the less it sells.
People may enjoy reading about new ideas but they rarely buy them.
The stuff that makes money is what makes it into chain auto parts stores that anyone can bolt onto their car in an afternoon to fix it (not improve it). That is why the carburetor does so well.