Eldebrock Carbs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

dwilliams
Guru
Guru
Re: Eldebrock Carbs

Post by dwilliams »

vht wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:01 pm from what I found the kits are cheap.
The kits need to match the carburetors; they're different between the 500s and 625s, for example. And (at least a few years back) the prices can be substantially different between kits.
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

dwilliams wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:53 pm
vht wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:01 pm from what I found the kits are cheap.
The kits need to match the carburetors; they're different between the 500s and 625s, for example. And (at least a few years back) the prices can be substantially different between kits.
On that topic, new kits should be much better than some of the older kits. Brent made a project of determining the most likely parts that would be needed and I remember him saying that he was able to make big improvements filling gaps etc.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

They are notoriously lean stock.

I've had to drill out the jets to way over the max available.
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

SchmidtMotorWorks wrote: Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:07 pm
F-BIRD'88 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:38 pm Developing a single carb body 6 barrel version with 2 outboard AVS progressive secondaries sides and single 2v center primaries
Is a logical design progression to compete with Holley 4500 carbs. Especially on dual quad/tunnel ram apps.
Also very relevant to big Cid big power single carb street motors .
No way anyone would invest in that.
No way that would ever break even.
That is a multi-year project that might cost over a $million to get into production.

For a non-existent manifold that has no demand.

Didn't we have a thread with the rough math sort of sketched out? There is NO WAY someone would buy something like that. There is no reason for one to open the carbs progressively. That's senseless.

On top of that, I'm not buying the concept.

There is no money in it. The Carter carb has its place. But it's for me, a vary rare place.

I guess maybe Monday someone should call Edelbrock and let them know that:

1. There is a thread here on S-T that has a project that will make them filthy rich
2. They are idiots for not seeing the market and will go broke if they don't get off their asses and jump on the project.

So who wants to make that call Monday??????
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

Tuner wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:29 pm I believe a passion for understanding carburetors is a form of dementia, somewhat of a trigger for Tourette Syndrome, or such like. Some of us have it for better or for worse than others.

LOL. There are lots of things that trigger my Tourette's syndrome. Carbs, ignition systems, my junky distributor machine, the wife........
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I just found a 1405 and a 1406 for $200 shipped. They haven't been off the car very long and from what I found the kits are cheap. Since I know nothing about eddys what do you all recommend buying for tuning purposes? I've got a ton of stuff for holleys, nothing for these though.

Back on topic.

I have ran the Tall tunnel-rams on my sbc 350 engines on the street for decades.
The small original carter afb carbs are down on power vs the 625 AFB or 600 edelbrock # 1405.
They just do not rev in the upper RPM area well.

I bet money it is not the CFM but the entry shape of the booster.. it is much more flat than the larger carbs.. almost like you put a brick in the flow path.

I would get 18 MPG with 2 600's just as good at the MPG game as a single carb.
I tested on a 357" sbc a much modified 4779 on an edelbrock RPM intake vs the tunnel-ram and out of the box edelbrocks 1405 carbs and the edelbrocks made 53 minimum HP at the wheels everywhere. The dyno operator asked if anything else was changed I said yes I pulled the HEI and am running an out of the bo single point distributor with a Ford coil.

Idle and part throttle cruise AFR was mid 14's and wide open was in the 12.5 range.

When I began running the edelbrock 600's years ago the jetting and rods did not make much seat of the pants difference in the tall tunnel-ram.

I say get the 600 edelbrocks and stick them on and run them.
Recently pulled an 800 cfm and strip dominator intake off buddies 11.0 compression 396 BBC and stuck on a tall ram with 2 1405 Edelbrocks and he said it never made that much power his hands were shaking after the first drive and you could not smack the grin off his face.

Very good carbs and you do not need annular boosters.

One mod that really helps in those carbs is to get the step up springs correct.
My engines pull 11" or more vacuum at idle and the stiffest spring is not stiff enough for my taste.
Kind of like running a 6.5 power valve vs a 9.5. You can't get a factory edelbrock spring to step up at 9" but add an ink pen spring into the stock spring and you can.

But run them as is If you have 5" idle vacuum you will want a softer spring though.
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

The carbs throttles do not open progressively.
They all open wide when you mat it. 6 throttles.
The 2 secondaries fore and aft have adjustable rate air doors that open progressively based on air flow demand. Just like the secondary side of a AVS 4 bbl carb does.
This 6 venturi single carb with AVS 4v secondaries would retail for just under $500 (US)
Easy to install,tune and maintain.
Competitive airflow and power to a 4500 Holley at a fraction of the price.
vht

Post by vht »

I don't think my post showed up for some reason, anyway I bought a used 1405 and a 1406. Appartly after researching there is more differences than just the electric choke. Jetting and metering rod difference. 1405 .070x047 metering rods and primary 100 jet, secondary .095. 1406 .075x47 and jets are primary 098, secondary .095. Other than starting out with the stiffest step up springs I guess I need to match the 1406 to the 1405?
Geoff2
Guru
Guru

Post by Geoff2 »

The 1405 was calibrated for performance & came with a man choke; the 1406 was calibrated for economy & came with an elec choke.

Hence the different jetting.
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

Yes you can match the rod and jet to the 1405 carb.
After you get it running keep us posted on how it does for you.

Here is something I do to the edelbrocks and some AFB carbs.
There is a passage in the main body of the carb up above the fuel level it is a trough that joins the left and right fuel bowls.
If you have issues cornering and the engine sputtering the issue is the fuel is flowing from one bowl to the other through this trough.

Many early AFB's did not have this and had no issues. I JB weld that area and eliminate the sputtering during cornering.
No reason in my mind why they made that passage.
You do not need to fill it all in just the ends close to the bowls.

You can use masking tape to hold the JB weld from flowing out until it sets up.
Get the top of the carb off and at the rear you will see this trough or channel.
Follow me?
quickd100
Pro
Pro

Post by quickd100 »

Rather than JB weld try marinetex, it isn't as sensitive to ethanol laced fuels.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v514/quickd100/9ff3c690.jpg[/img]
SchmidtMotorWorks
Vendor

Post by SchmidtMotorWorks »

F-BIRD'88 wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:20 pm The carbs throttles do not open progressively.
They all open wide when you mat it. 6 throttles.
The 2 secondaries fore and aft have adjustable rate air doors that open progressively based on air flow demand. Just like the secondary side of a AVS 4 bbl carb does.
This 6 venturi single carb with AVS 4v secondaries would retail for just under $500 (US)
Easy to install,tune and maintain.
Competitive airflow and power to a 4500 Holley at a fraction of the price.
You obviously have no understanding of the cost and time required to design, tool, test, develop a carburetor.

There are several companies that have recently tried to manufacture a new QuadraJet, so far none of them have been able to get it done.
It is vastly more difficult than it looks.
A lot of special built machines are required for machining and assembly.
The low demand and low value of the product makes it a non-starter for anyone that does the research and financial projections.
Sometimes you have to step back from yourself and recognize that you might be obsessed with an idea that no one else cares about.
In today's market, people buy shiny dress-up parts and fix-it parts like carbs and fuel pumps. Everything beyond that is a very small segment of the market.
Frankly much of it only continues out of habit, not good business reasoning.

Just look at the Holley style billet carbs, it isn't widely known but many of the parts are made in China and maybe assembled in the USA. I have had offers from the companies in China to supply the exact same parts.
Even with the relatively low prices, it is still a low profit business.
Helping to Deliver the Promise of Flying Cars
hereinmissoula

Post by hereinmissoula »

I have never seen an engine not pick up power going from an Edelbrock to a tuned 4150. I have no experience with Ava or whatever but I would need to see back to back dynos . I have seen many 1/2 second increases ditching Edelbrocks.. my only real world opinion
jeff swisher
Guru
Guru

Post by jeff swisher »

I have seen the edelbrock 750 make more power than the Holley or Q jet many times.
On engine dyno and wheel dyno.
My own 3310 and 4779 would not pull the upper RPM's that a 750 Q jet or a 750 AFB/Edelbrock would.
This was on a 350" and power was lacking above 6000 rpm.

Not one to give up on any carburetor I began modifying my Holleys. Thinned throttle shafts Smaller head screws in the throttle blades I ported them and epoxied the entry to make them look like the current HP series entry.
That is a lot of cut and grind and epoxy.
Then they pulled the upper RPM's that the other 750's would pull.
If you stay below 6500rpm you may not notice much or maybe the old school carbs i played with were just weak.
I normally shifted at 7500 RPM and then some.

My much modified 4779 that looks like it has the HP main body was tested against a Q jet on a 385" SBC RPM intake and Ported Q jet intake.
Wheel HP was measured on that and with the square bore Performer RPM intake the Holley made 10 more wheel HP than the Q jet.

On the Ported Q jet intake the Q jet made 10 more HP than the Holley.

Then it got the tunnel-ram and trumped both setups everywhere.
vht

Post by vht »

I'm sure going to try them. Got home with it last night and it was flooding out. Gas running in the rear barrels of the second carb. Put another needle and seat in. These carbs are like new from the base plates to everything else, it still has a surge in it and I'm tired of fooling with them. Maybe it's because I've done had so many new parts to fail, good parts not china, that I'm fed up, I'd like to drive it and enjoy it. I'll take $400 for these and I'll pay shipping. Iran manual fuel injection on my dragster for over 20 yrs, simple, easy to tune and you didn't have to have a box of gaskets and parts with you all the time. This winter I may switch it to a single 4 and put a QF 850 Q series on it. I had one on my 434 in my chevelle and that was the best carb I ever owned.
20190501_184852.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.