LS7 replacement longblock recommendations?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Grant
LS7 replacement longblock recommendations?

Post by Grant »

I'm in the market for a quality longblock. The application is a drive-it-to-the-track open lapping and time attack car (e.g. One Lap of America), so it needs to be very reliable. Lots of power is nice, but secondary to reliability. The car will be flex fuel and run on E85 where available, but sometimes it'll have to lap on 93 octane.

Any suggestions on who to go with? Or what features (DLC pins? piston oil squirters?) to look for? I've heard good things about Mast Motorsports (who can even provide a calibration for their 685 bhp crate motor) and Lingenfelter. Thanks!

I've tried one of Katech's LS2-based "Value 427s". Lets just say it didn't work out. I don't want to go with another one of their motors. My only complain with the Mast 685 bhp motor is how high it needs to rev to make power, which may not mesh well with my longevity goals.

It's for a 19k mile, 2007 Z06 I just pulled the motor out of. The car was seemingly tracked heavily, and it looks like it oil starved. The crank is more rough than smooth (people tell me it could polish out, but I'm skeptical), the bearings need replacing, and it looks like there are spots where the Ti rod coating might be coming off (this leads to galling where they rub each other). These are all common LS7 problems, especially on the < 2009 motors which are more prone to oil starvation.

The heads are prone to dropping valves too. Gotta love LS7s :roll:
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: LS7 replacement longblock recommendations?

Post by midnightbluS10 »

You could try Bob Book at BRE or Tommy Keeter at KPE. They build race-ready LS engines AFAIK but you'll pay a premium price for them. Not knowing Bob's experience with other forms of racing outside of drag racing, you may try KPE first.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING