General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Low pressure in-tank fuel pump

Post by travis »

I’m kicking around an idea...

What are my options for converting a Vortec FI fuel system to a carb compatible fuel pressure? If I go this route, I’m thinking that a low pressure in tank fuel pump would be ideal. I’ve read too many bad things about people trying to regulate the factory 58psi fuel system down to carb levels. If there are no low pressure in tank options, is there a fuel sender available to replace the in tank pump so I can run an in-line electric pump?

I’ve got most of the pieces to build a nice 9.7-ish compression 383 with Vortec heads for my Suburban...
77cruiser
Guru
Guru

Re: Low pressure in-tank fuel pump

Post by 77cruiser »

I'm using this regulator with an in tank high pressure pump on a carbed deal for 2 years with no problems. Comes with 2 springs 1 for low press. & 1 for high press. Have to run a return line though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/aei-13301
Jim
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Fuel Safe that makes fuel cells has a low pressure in-tank pump.

https://fuelsafe.com/fplp/
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:19 am I’m kicking around an idea...

What are my options for converting a Vortec FI fuel system to a carb compatible fuel pressure? If I go this route, I’m thinking that a low pressure in tank fuel pump would be ideal. I’ve read too many bad things about people trying to regulate the factory 58psi fuel system down to carb levels. If there are no low pressure in tank options, is there a fuel sender available to replace the in tank pump so I can run an in-line electric pump?

I’ve got most of the pieces to build a nice 9.7-ish compression 383 with Vortec heads for my Suburban...

An earlier "throttle body, fuel injection" pump should work well; and fit , too.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 9:24 am

An earlier "throttle body, fuel injection" pump should work well; and fit , too.
Yes, I think they are around 15 psi and cheap also.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

What are my options for converting a Vortec FI fuel system to a carb compatible fuel pressure?
Just curious why you would want to go backwards to a carb ? I would keep the Vortec system myself. I would almost bet it would compensate for the extra cubic inches without any problems. I did a similar deal with a tuned port 350. Built a 383 and the tuned port worked just fine.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

BillK wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 7:01 pm
Just curious why you would want to go backwards to a carb ?
Some people do not believe this is a step backwards; especially at wide open throttle.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Just curious why you would want to go backwards to a carb ? I would keep the Vortec system myself. I would almost bet it would compensate for the extra cubic inches without any problems. I did a similar deal with a tuned port 350. Built a 383 and the tuned port worked just fine.
It’s just one of several ideas I’m thinking about. The problem with the Vortec setup is that it is pretty close to maxed out with the stock 350, and there is no aftermarket support for things like bigger injectors.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

Your suppose to use two regs so it's not hard on the pump. A high pressure bypass to about 12psi and a low pressure deadhead to 5-7psi. Aeromotive came out with a dual reg for the purpose of converting high psi efi fuel pumps to carb but it's cheaper to buy two regs and fittings.

https://aeromotiveinc.com/product/efi-2 ... regulator/
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
dfarr67
Expert
Expert

Post by dfarr67 »

travis wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:29 pm
It’s just one of several ideas I’m thinking about. The problem with the Vortec setup is that it is pretty close to maxed out with the stock 350, and there is no aftermarket support for things like bigger injectors.
I believe there are upgraded spider assemblies.
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

What are my options for converting a Vortec FI fuel system to a carb compatible fuel pressure?
The GM HT383E crate engine is specifically sold for this intention--using Vortec injection on an emissions-legal 383.

I've heard good things about the updated spiders--Delco and Dorman both sell them, and I'm sure there's other sources in the aftermarket.

By '96, when the Vortec system appeared, the computer was also controlling the transmission. How are you going to control the trans if you gut the computer system?
jsgarage
Expert
Expert

Post by jsgarage »

Be careful regulating pressures down without a return line. A carb typically runs 5-7 psi; a TBI runs 12-15 psi and multiport EFI runs 45-55 psi. Regulating a 50 lb pump to 6 psi causes it to work awfully hard with no return line, and to keep your attention focussed, a 15 lb TBI pump looks identical to a 50 lb EFI pump and there are no defining markings if the paper tag is gone. GM EFI pumps have a thin thermal fuse wire that will open when the pump cavitates or overspeeds- as when you run the tank dry. When that wire opens, the pump assembly is junk. Not sure if TBI pumps have that fusible link but I've had no problem using TBI pumps with carbs and a regulator with no return line.

As a point of interest, the actual pump inside all the extra factory stuff is the size of 2 stacked half-dollars and runs at very high rpms. The electric motor is about the size of a 10-gauge shotgun shell. The pump looks like jewelry & has no makers mark. I made a pendant out of one pump when my wife ran her Z-28 dry three times- the last one cost me a new pump. She wears the pendant now 'n then.
stealth
Guru
Guru

Post by stealth »

EFI delete FTW..... =D>