General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Steve.k
Guru
Guru
Intake volume

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_2275.JPG
I dynoed this 438 cube engine last fall. Had another builder look it over as we getting work done on convertor. He noticed fuel consumption going up high on end of pull. He said normally thats a sign of small intake for engine. The intake here is ur19 cleveland non ported. What do you guys figure? Unfortunately never got cfm numbers sorry.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Intake volume

Post by MadBill »

Unless that carb has displayed a better B.S.F.C. history on another engine I wouldn't jump to any conclusions with such limited data. If anything, a 'too small' carb is a more likely suspect. Lots of as-delivered carbs go rich to at least some extent at high RPM, so possibly larger high speed air bleeds would straighten up the fuel curve, but much of the value of a dyno is lost trying to tune in the dark, absent AFR data from meters and/or sensors.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Unless that carb has displayed a better B.S.F.C. history on another engine I wouldn't jump to any conclusions with such limited data. If anything, a 'too small' carb* is a more likely suspect. (*At this power level I'd think it could easily handle over 1,000 CFM.) Lots of as-delivered carbs go rich to at least some extent at high RPM, so possibly larger high speed air bleeds would straighten up the fuel curve, but much of the value of a dyno is lost trying to tune in the dark, absent AFR data from meters and/or sensors.

mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

What was the fuel curve like before you switched to the fuel used on this run?
Fuels with different specific gravity's need different power valve channel restriction sizes and jetting from one another, but that being said on that run the motor was well on its way to being rich even at 4600 rpm!

Is the motor breathing thru a 2 bbl Dom?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Yes these are two old school 1050's 6464. The manifold is a factory ur19 edelbrock tunnel that also untouched. Port match is the only grinding done. We did have probes for temp and afr on runs. The only thing we didn't have was the cfm meter hooked up as dyno operator has only one hat. The fella who looked at sheet figured that since the intake was originally built for 351 c it's likely a little small for 438 cubes.
IMG_3949.JPG
IMG_3948.JPG
Here is the temps and a/f. Thanks guys. Not sure why they loading sideways?? When you click on them they straighten.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_3951.JPG
This was last run on c-12 before the oxy 112 torco.
IMG_3952.JPG
. Notice af 1&2 here. On last dyno they were 9.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

I just looked back through dyno pages. After we switched to 112 oxy our lam 1&2 all were 9. We were to tail end of session and did not jet down.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:38 am I just looked back through dyno pages. After we switched to 112 oxy our lam 1&2 all were 9. We were to tail end of session and did not jet down.
Boys i just remembered (oldtimers setting in)we added header extensions with evacs. No o2 sensors available. The one pull we did with o2 sensors in were 12.2-12.3. Range.
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

Actual nine point zeros all the way are virtually impossible so something was out of whack beyond the effects of 'oxyied' fuel.

Someone more experienced with such fuels may step in with more info, but my understanding is that there are several possible routes to follow when fuel stoichiometry changes substantially:

1. Leave the O2 table calibrated stoich value unchanged. This way your non-oxy gasoline knowledge and experience re 'correct' AFR is roughly applicable, e.g. whether the actual stoich is 14.7 or 13.0, 10% rich will show 13.2:1, which your experience may say is "about right for an efficient high compression engine", or "too lean for the kind of boost I'm running" or whatever.

2. Re-calibrate the sensor software values for the actual stoich and come up with the new numbers that correspond with it, e.g. 10% rich for 13.0:1 = 11.7:1.

3. If possible, set up the system to read lambda instead of AFR and school yourself on the desired range of same, e.g. λ 0.90 = 13.2:1 for a fuel with a stoich value of 14.7:1.

Personally, I go with option one; if nothing else it basically need no action unless running high percentages of alcohol.

On to your earlier data: If the reported AFRs in the 12.2-12.3 range were based on a calibrated stoich of 14.7:1, that's pretty rich and probably more so at higher RPM, in which case larger high speed air bleeds would address both issues and likely pick up 25 HP or more.

Also, going from 'non' to with oxygenated fuel it's normally necessary to jet up.

Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:17 am Yes these are two old school 1050's 6464.
Those are I.R. type carbs so, are you not using a plenum on top the runners...?

How big are the runners of that manifold...? The Weiand manifold runners have about 3 square inches of area.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_2021.JPG
IMG_0427.JPG
. Yes walter it has plenum. Here is look inside. We cleaned up also i never measured runner but it is a smidge shorter than wieand but pretty much same diameter.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_3958.JPG
IMG_3957.JPG
Here is first pull on oxy. Still had sensors.I just looked at a pull when i had a single 1050 on it. Completely different carb and intake. Still get that mid 500 bsfc. Hmm makes me wonder.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_3960.JPG
Here is a pull with single 1050 different carb and intake. Note bsfc.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Are you testing at high elevation?

Looking at the fuel flow and bsfc numbers...... theres over 130hp correction.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

IMG_3963.JPG
Yes typically da of 4900-5100 ft. Heres a 408 I did a few years ago. He used to enter da on sheets. Severe handicap.