SBC .300" thick valve spring locator/cup ??

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

PackardV8
Guru
Guru

SBC .300" thick valve spring locator/cup ??

Post by PackardV8 »

There are "rotator eliminator" .300" thick valve spring locator cups for BBC diameter springs, but I can't find anything similar for SBCs. In fact, a search came up, "We do not make rotator eliminators for SBCs."

Bottom line, I need a $25 set of SBC valve spring OD cups .300" thick to be able to use SBC valve springs in an obsolete engine. Suggestions?
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
SupStk
Guru
Guru

Re: SBC .300" thick valve spring locator/cup ??

Post by SupStk »

Think you are looking for something that doesn't exist. Removing the rotator and replacing with a standard retainer on SBC adds about .125" to the assembly height.
Considered looking for a different set of springs or turning out a set of what you need?
Monty Frerichs
B&M Machine
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

They do have .060" thick I.D. locators in that O.D. size. Some companies do sell .100" tall small block Chevy springs.

For small block Chevies:
Use +.050" locks on the intakes and -.050" locks on the exhaust side.
Or a .060" shim under the spring with the -.050" locks on the exhausts.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Depending on what type of open/closed spring loads you’re looking for, some of the beehive springs that fit SBC type applications can be installed pretty tall.
Additionally, the retainers for those springs usually have a lower installed height, and then there’s -.050 locks, .060 thick spring seats, etc.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

What dimensions are you looking for?

I may have something...
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

Hi, Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

The ID needs to go over a valve guide 9/16" (.5625"}, the OD of the cup locates the OD of an OEM SBC spring and needs to be at least .250" thick.

PM me if you need more details.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
EDC
Expert
Expert

Post by EDC »

PackardV8 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:18 am Hi, Ed,

Thanks for the reply.

The ID needs to go over a valve guide 9/16" (.5625"}, the OD of the cup locates the OD of an OEM SBC spring and needs to be at least .250" thick.

PM me if you need more details.
Just checked...

.568" ID at guide
.780" OD at inner step
1.500" OD
.200" thick

No good... sorry.
"Quality" is like buying oats. You can pay a fair price for it and get some good quality oats,
or you can get it a hell of a lot cheaper, when it's already been through the horse.

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

Ed Curtis - www.FlowTechInduction.com
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

What about just making up some?? I have done that for some BBC stuff as well as others applications.
I have used cold rolled bar stock of the close to size OD then drilled it to the ID needed machined the lip ti locate
the spring then part if off. repeat as needed. If its an engine do do on a some what regular basis its worth making a
few sets for the shelf.

Seems to me its about $15 for material and an hours time for 4 sets when I make them up.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

ProPower engines wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:09 pm What about just making up some?? I have done that for some BBC stuff as well as others applications.
I have used cold rolled bar stock of the close to size OD then drilled it to the ID needed machined the lip ti locate
the spring then part if off. repeat as needed. If its an engine do do on a some what regular basis its worth making a
few sets for the shelf. Seems to me its about $15 for material and an hours time for 4 sets when I make them up.
That looks like we're going to have to do.
Jack Vines
Obsolete Engineering
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

ProPower engines wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 2:09 pm What about just making up some?? I have done that for some BBC stuff as well as others applications.
few sets for the shelf.

Seems to me its about $15 for material and an hours time for 4 sets when I make them up.
Made some for the same reason. They needed heat treat after or the spring with eat the spacer.

Did you treat them?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 6:09 am
few sets for the shelf.

Made some for the same reason. They needed heat treat after or the spring with eat the spacer.

Did you treat them?
Depends if I need an ID locator on top of the spacer. If like most that use a dual spring they want positive location and the use of an ID locator is used its not really needed as the locator will protect the spacer. Same thing if a hardened cup is used as most times the final installed height needs to be corrected with a few shims here and there or machined to eliminate the shims and just use a locator. 99% of the time I use a locator just to have that ability to get installed heights done without the extra machining time to deepen spring seat areas.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors