NGK plugs

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
NGK plugs

Post by vht »

Wanted to see what you all would recommend on a spark plug for my BBC 427. I have the thread on here Edelbrock carbs. I have NGK GR6 in it now and they seem to be to cold. It's hard to tell because they are gas fouled from another needle and seat screwing up. It has the 425 HP heads with a 650 lift hyd roller. Plus I'll have the 2 Carter 1405's on it when I start it again. I always ran NGK in the 582 on the race car but it was a tapered seat plug. It has MSD ignition on it. I thought the next hotter plug was GR5 but my parts house can't seem to find them. What would you all recommend as a starting point?
vht
Re: NGK plugs

Post by vht »

Forgot to mention that I might have the right plug in it with a good set of carbs on it, just need opinions, thanks.
NormS
Vendor

Post by NormS »

I've always had good results with NGK plugs. If you have good control over your air fuel ratio at idle , part throttle cruise, and full throttle acceleration, then you can use a really cold plug. We ran a turbocharged/draw through carbureted 427 Chev in an 18 ft flatbottom boat for years on one set of NGK #9 heat range plugs. The key is the fuel system's control of the fuel delivery. If you have a rich mixture for too much of the running time for any engine, hot plugs may not help for very long, and are more likely to cause preignition if the plugs gets too hot. I've run NGK #7 and #8 heat range plugs in street cars that had good fuel delivery, with no fouling.
Competition Fuel Systems Birch Run,MI. www.compfuelsystems.com/index.html 520-241-2787
F-BIRD'88
Guru
Guru

Post by F-BIRD'88 »

Use a # 7 heat range in a NGK.
inline6

Post by inline6 »

Call NGK tech line and have them reccomend a plug.
Tractor Puller, 1959 IH 460 with 430cid NA Alcohol Inline 6 started its life as a D282

The only replacement for displacement is RPM!
vht

Post by vht »

I'll get a set of BKR7E and see how they do.
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

The 7 is colder...The 6 will be great when you get the real problem fixed.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
1972ho
Guru
Guru

Post by 1972ho »

You should try cleaning the old plugs until you get control of the carburetor and fuel system it will keep you from continuing to buy new plugs and fouling them.
GRTfast
Guru
Guru

Post by GRTfast »

I'm having good luck with BKR6ES-11 on my 9.5:1 street big block. It's probably a tad on the hot side for my setup, but I'm not getting any detonation (can't hear any or see signs on the piston or spark plug). That plug sticks into the chamber a bit more than others, so you have to be careful that it won't interfere with your piston.
Take the risk of thinking for yourself, much more happiness, truth, beauty, and wisdom will come to you that way. -Hitchens
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

You can get GR5's almost anywhere. Also labeled as #2851. Summit, Amazon, your local parts store...they all carry them and if the local place doesn't carry them, they can usually have them overnight if ordered by 5pm.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING