Sadly Bruce Crower passed away

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Mummert
Expert
Expert

Sadly Bruce Crower passed away

Post by Mummert »

Founder of Crower Cams and Equipment Company, Bruce Crower passed away at age 89 few days ago. I spent a few years working with his son Dan at Crower Motorports out of Bruces shop.
He was a very nice man, and probably one of the best manual machinists I've ever seen. He was a wealth of knowledge and had tons of of racing artifacts and stories to go along with them. I was lucky to have known him.
Mummert Machine and Development 4 stroke hp
Mummert Y-blocks
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Re: Sadly Bruce Crower passed away

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Mummert wrote: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:35 am Founder of Crower Cams and Equipment Company, Bruce Crower passed away at age 89 few days ago. I spent a few years working with his son Dan at Crower Motorports out of Bruces shop.
He was a very nice man, and probably one of the best manual machinists I've ever seen. He was a wealth of knowledge and had tons of of racing artifacts and stories to go along with them. I was lucky to have known him.
Sad to hear it ... most people don't remember him as the innovator he really was.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

RIP
Newold1
Guru
Guru

Post by Newold1 »

Had some great instruction and information passed along to me by Bruce. One of the amazing brilliant brains, thinker, inventor and DO'ER in the sport and industry. They only build a few of these and we just lost another great one! You will be missed. RIP Bruce. :(
The Older I Get, The Dumber I Get :wink:
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

I had the pleasure of talking, even if briefly, to Bruce several years ago when I learned he was working on a 6 cycle engine similar in principle to the one we were producing. It was easy to see why his stuff always went fast.
David Vizard
Guru
Guru

Post by David Vizard »

During my career I have spent quite a lot of time with the Crower family. First it was Dave to go - now Bruce. To me it seems like the end of an era. Bruce gave more seminars than most bosses and I made a point to get to every one I could. Many of the things I heard in Bruce's talks re-directed my train of thought. The personal loss for me is that is not going to happen again just as I won't be doing a ton of spintron work with Dave - at least not just yet!

The Crowers are a good family - Bruce - RIP.
DV
David Vizard Small Group Performance Seminars - held about every 2 months. My shop or yours. Contact for seminar deails - davidvizardseminar@gmail.com for details.
JoePorting
Guru
Guru

Post by JoePorting »

I remember about 12 years ago I had what I thought was a trick cylinder head idea which was to switch the SBC ports around to make the exhaust the intake and the intake the exhaust. Then about a year later I see a picture of Bruce Crower from around 1963 with an SBC with the same setup. I thought that was pretty funny. Apparently guys in the 1960's were experimenting with that concept as I later saw a number of pictures of motors setup that way from Mickey Thompson and others.
Joe Facciano