HELP....conversion needed..

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
HELP....conversion needed..

Post by gn69z28 »

I have 2 Yanmar 3JH3 diesel engines to rebuild. I've been giving the factory manual for specs. Problem is the I can't find a conversion for the torque specs. An example of what the book gives is Main bearing bolt torque is 10.5--- 11.5 kg.m the only conversion calculator I can find converts it to 23ft lbs. And that's not right based on the size of the bolts and how tight they were. I found torque specs online for the 3JH5 engine and it gives 75ft lbs for the main bolts which seems correct but I'm not sure if the two engines use the same torque specs. I couldn't find anything specific to the engines I have. Thanks for any help.
BigBro74
Expert
Expert

Re: HELP....conversion needed..

Post by BigBro74 »

Hey I was just looking-my “inexpensive” KD tools beam type inch pound wrench has newton meters on its scale- it came from the parts store in a pinch 😁 because none of my inch pound snap on wrenches covered that little range.....
Might be an inexpensive way to get by——
Jason
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

gn69z28 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 am I have 2 Yanmar 3JH3 diesel engines to rebuild. I've been giving the factory manual for specs. Problem is the I can't find a conversion for the torque specs. An example of what the book gives is Main bearing bolt torque is 10.5--- 11.5 kg.m the only conversion calculator I can find converts it to 23ft lbs. And that's not right based on the size of the bolts and how tight they were. I found torque specs online for the 3JH5 engine and it gives 75ft lbs for the main bolts which seems correct but I'm not sure if the two engines use the same torque specs. I couldn't find anything specific to the engines I have. Thanks for any help.
Just go google a torque chart for metric bolts, find torque by bolt size, hardness, and thread pitch, done it many times.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&source= ... 7040664540
Olds455

Post by Olds455 »

This converter says 11 kg/m is 79.5 lb/ft. 10.5 kg/m is 75.9 lb/ft

https://www.convertunits.com/from/kg-m/to/lb-ft

The conversion seems simple enough to even do manually. 1 kg/m equals 7.233 lb/ft (2.205 lbs/3.280 ft)

Divide each side by 3.280 to get lbs/ft, which should give you 7.2xxx lb/ft is equal to 1 kg/m
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

kg•meter is not a well used torque unit especially since a kg is not a force unit (kg is a mass unit).
Basically, a kg needs to be multiplied by gravity, 9.81 meters/second^2, to convert kg to Newtons (N).
A Newton•meter is a standard torque unit in the SI system.
To convert a Newton•meter to lbf•ft (ft•lbf for those folks), simply divide N•m by 1.356.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Rick! wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:23 pm kg•meter is not a well used torque unit especially since a kg is not a force unit (kg is a mass unit).
Basically, a kg needs to be multiplied by gravity, 9.81 meters/second^2, to convert kg to Newtons (N).
To convert a Newton•meter to lbf•ft (ft•lbf for those folks), simply divide N•m by 1.356.
Wouldn't that get you the same exact result as converting from kg/m to lb/ft, only with a lot more chance of screwing up the math making 2 conversions instead of 1?

Why do 2 conversions when you can convert straight from 1 to the other with much less math? Converting kg to lbs and m to ft isn't that difficult?
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 6:36 am
Rick! wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 4:23 pm kg•meter is not a well used torque unit especially since a kg is not a force unit (kg is a mass unit).
Wouldn't that get you the same exact result as converting from kg/m to lb/ft, only with a lot more chance of screwing up the math making 2 conversions instead of 1?

Why do 2 conversions when you can convert straight from 1 to the other with much less math? Converting kg to lbs and m to ft isn't that difficult?
Last I check that is still 2 conversions. :?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
gn69z28
Pro
Pro

Post by gn69z28 »

Olds455 thank you for that link.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

The OP asked for help and got a fish and a loaf of bread thrown at him. All I did was throw him a fishing rod.
You can see that he tried to convert kg to lbf using 2.205 lb per kg and that didn't get him where he needed to be.
Sometimes it's better to know how to do simple units conversion, or dimensional analysis, to get from one measurement system to the next.
One could also argue that most modern torque wrenches have both N•m and ft•lbf scales so the only operation necessary is multiplying kg•m
times gravity (9.81, or 10 in a pinch) and then use the scale or button on the torque wrench for N•m so only a single operation is needed.
Here is a link to a units convertor that nearly every engineer I work with, including me, has on their computer.
https://joshmadison.com/convert-for-windows/
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

gn69z28 wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:58 am I have 2 Yanmar 3JH3 diesel engines to rebuild. I've been giving the factory manual for specs. Problem is the I can't find a conversion for the torque specs. An example of what the book gives is Main bearing bolt torque is 10.5--- 11.5 kg.m the only conversion calculator I can find converts it to 23ft lbs. And that's not right based on the size of the bolts and how tight they were. I found torque specs online for the 3JH5 engine and it gives 75ft lbs for the main bolts which seems correct but I'm not sure if the two engines use the same torque specs. I couldn't find anything specific to the engines I have. Thanks for any help.
To convert KgM to ft lbs

1 KgM = 7.233 ft lbs
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

That was posted above. Plus a breakdown of how that, number is achieved. Fish and bread? Huh?

I'm not near as smart as you are, David, and even I see that. Convert kg to lbs and meters to feet and you end up with 1kg/m = 2.2 lbs/3.28ft

Not hard to finish from there.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:39 am

Stan
Then I guess that makes his way 3 conversions.
JC -

Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

midnightbluS10 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:50 pm
Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 10:39 am

Stan
Then I guess that makes his way 3 conversions.
► 11 * 9.81 / 1.356 = 79.5796460177

► 11 * 2.2046 * 3.2808 = 79.56136848

Still looks like two conversions for each to me.

Stan
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

How about:

11 * 7.233 = 79.563

How many conversions is that?

Does anyone remember the correct use of significant digits?
Using ten more decimal places does not make a calculation more accurate.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

David Redszus wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:25 pm

How about:

11 * 7.233 = 79.563

How many conversions is that?

Does anyone remember the correct use of significant digits?
Using ten more decimal places does not make a calculation more accurate.
David,
I am lazy and just cut and paste the results from a calculator. So what calculator do you use that has that logic?

Stan