Moderator: Team

Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Re: Pushrod Ford official.

Post by Carnut1 »

englertracing wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 5:18 pm I see what you mean now
Would be a shame really...

I'm surprised this isn't a 4 valve motor....
Or even a 4v with some twist like a diesel to promote swirl.

Maybe John will make some "boss" heads if this engine becomes popular.
It is not a high rpm design. It is a usable torque design. Does the w on the intake even matter? Take a look how small the intake valve vs. the exhaust valve is. That is for mileage, bigger exhaust valve.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

A 4 valve motor will make more torque if it’s. Holt for it, as opposed to rpm. It will always have the potential to have a flatter and wider power curve than a 2 valve head, any day.

Pretty cool, just wonder why (besides packaging or demand for a cheap, simple fleet type engine)?
-Bob
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:54 pm A 4 valve motor will make more torque if it’s. Holt for it, as opposed to rpm. It will always have the potential to have a flatter and wider power curve than a 2 valve head, any day.

Pretty cool, just wonder why (besides packaging or demand for a cheap, simple fleet type engine)?
I don't believe that is true. 4 valvers have better breathing at higher rpm and better torque at higher rpm but at lower rpm the swirl induced by a single inlet valve can make better torque at lower rpm than the more tumble oriented 4 valver. This is not an absolute. More of a guide, now take a 4 valver and twist the ports and size them just right and they will out torque the best 2 valver.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
WoundUp

Post by WoundUp »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:40 pm I think Ford is copying the Ls almost exactly to prove something it would seem. What is the gain from asymmetrical lifters if any??

What exactly would they be trying to prove? They can build a pushrod engine still? Only they have to copy an already proven design to do it?
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Steve.k wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 2:40 pm I think Ford is copying the Ls almost exactly to prove something it would seem. What is the gain from asymmetrical lifters if any??
You mean like how GM dropped the pinch port SBC to copy a Windsor almost exactly, you know heads that make sense, and a camshaft far enough away from the crank to allow real lobes, and a larger Cam core?

So did Ford copy GM's copy of a Windsor?
Or has for always made symmetrical port engines with large Cam cores ford from the crankshaft?

I think its the latter.
WoundUp

Post by WoundUp »

Why does everybody claim GM copied Ford with the LS? There's no proof of it. I'm more apt to believe that GM just designed a better engine and this was the result. IMO, it's more likely that they took the best ideas from any/many engines and combined them to design the LS engine. Much moreso than they took a Windsor, copied it, modified a couple of things, and started manufacturing them.

And now Ford is copying a copy of their engine? Lol! You understand how dumb that sounds, right?
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

englertracing wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:05 am
You mean like how GM dropped the pinch port SBC to copy a Windsor almost exactly, you know heads that make sense, and a camshaft far enough away from the crank to allow real lobes, and a larger Cam core?

So did Ford copy GM's copy of a Windsor?
Or has for always made symmetrical port engines with large Cam cores ford from the crankshaft?

I think its the latter.
That is exactly what I'm talking about.The engineer in above article even mentioning chevies borrowing tec from Windsor. I think with the hubabaloo the ls has created over the years Ford said hey. We'll build a real LS. The boost ready pistons are there for a reason. Im willing to bet Ford had those engines singing far beyond 430hp!! We'll See
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 9:50 am That is exactly what I'm talking about.The engineer in above article even mentioning chevies borrowing tec from Windsor. I think with the hubabaloo the ls has created over the years Ford said hey. We'll build a real LS. The boost ready pistons are there for a reason. Im willing to bet Ford had those engines singing far beyond 430hp!! We'll See
You think so? GM and Ford appear to be just filling in a hole in the market with these engines. Somebody that does some towing, doesn't require diesel torque and doesn't want the cost, complexity and related maintenance costs that go with modern diesel's. I bet aftermarket modifications down the road weren't on their list.

I hope it takes off in that fashion but I doubt it. Look at Ford's 6.2. Neat engine, next to no aftermarket support/interest.
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

hoffman900 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:54 pm A 4 valve motor will make more torque if it’s. Holt for it, as opposed to rpm. It will always have the potential to have a flatter and wider power curve than a 2 valve head, any day.

You hit the nail on the head. It's all about cost of production and in vehicle packaging while making the 6.8L V10 go away.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Well it could be and nowadays cost is likely paramount. But most hotrodders want a simple design they can work on. The overhead cam engines dont fit that mold even though they are over achievers in their class when you look at hp/cube. This platform will help, single cam, inline valves and cubes. Let the aftermarket begin!
n2xlr8n
Expert
Expert

Post by n2xlr8n »

Elroy wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:24 am I hope it takes off in that fashion but I doubt it. Look at Ford's 6.2. Neat engine, next to no aftermarket support/interest.
I don't doubt it, if they make enough of them. I'd love to dive into a 7.3L pushrod engine. I'm kinda beyond dropping 25k in an aftermarket-engine.

The way I look at it (in terms of my 6.2L) is the stock engine was designed well enough that I can throw boost at it, add headers / exhaust and a good tune and make >500 whp. That's enough to tempt me to try it in a lighter car.

I personally believe Ford will add Godzilla to the Raptor at some point.
He who is in me is greater than he who is in the world.
hoffman900
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoffman900 »

Steve.k wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 11:27 am Well it could be and nowadays cost is likely paramount. But most hotrodders want a simple design they can work on. The overhead cam engines dont fit that mold even though they are over achievers in their class when you look at hp/cube. This platform will help, single cam, inline valves and cubes. Let the aftermarket begin!
I don't really understand how overhead cams are seen as complicated though. The geometry is fixed - drop the cams in, index, and go. Furthermore, with multiple camshafts, you can adjust the centerlines to whatever it needs to be without buying a butt load of camshafts.
-Bob
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

englertracing wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 1:05 am Or has for always made symmetrical port engines with large Cam cores ford from the crankshaft?
True. Unfortunately Ford's journal size fetish didn't stop at the camshaft though. 8)
Lem Evans
Expert
Expert

Post by Lem Evans »

I'm told the 7.3L gas engine has 2.5" main journals and 2.0" rod journals.
B F Evans Ford Race Parts
270-278-2376
Steve.k
Guru
Guru

Post by Steve.k »

Yes and as ouput goes up you want to eliminate as many variables as possible. Im liking the idea of this engine. How many guys took a junk yard LS and bolt turbo on and go racing??