Clevite H series main bearings ???s

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

garym
Clevite H series main bearings ???s

Post by garym »

I just received a set of H series main bearings, and was wondering if the bluish/gray appearance is anything to be concerned about as they look horrib le. As far as prepping bearings what is best for a drag race application (small journal chevy crank) . Any input/advice on bearing prep would be very helpful . THANKS garym
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: Clevite H series main bearings ???s

Post by swampbuggy »

Garym, If your clearances are checked correctly and accurately and you have "ENOUGH" you should install as they are. The manufactures of the bearings DO NOT want people to muck with them, they produce them the way they want them. Apply proper assembly lube, prime oil system, and run it. Mark H.
Baprace
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Baprace »

garym wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:25 pm I just received a set of H series main bearings, and was wondering if the bluish/gray appearance is anything to be concerned about as they look horrib le. As far as prepping bearings what is best for a drag race application (small journal chevy crank) . Any input/advice on bearing prep would be very helpful . THANKS garym
I have used that type of bearing, blue/gray color and all I do is just rub with a cloth just to make sure no burrs are present, I do not change the color, your good to go in my book.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

they have eliminated additional steps to make the bearing look pretty, because looking pretty does not improve performance.
lead and heat treated steel, looks fine to me.
Wipe with a cotton cloth to remove dust, should be all you need to do.
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

To clean engine bearings prior to installation, use clean solvent and newspaper. Also, make sure that the bearing backs and the housing bores are clean and dry before assembling the short block.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

garym wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 5:25 pm I just received a set of H series main bearings, and was wondering if the bluish/gray appearance is anything to be concerned about as they look horrible
They have looked that way for 20 years, maybe longer ? I always do what the other Bill said, wipe them with a clean cloth with brake clean.
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com