flywheel to balancer weight proportion- inline 6

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Truckedup
Guru
Guru

Re: flywheel to balancer weight proportion- inline 6

Post by Truckedup »

Harry...I found that water heating the intake only required 5/16 steel lines..I even had a valve on one line to restrict the flow...In the hotter weather where you are you might be able to turn off the water after the engine is fully warmed up...Have a cable control in the cab...I was using an aluminum intake than will run cooler than cast steel/iron...Three carbs close to the engine might not have vaporization issues like a single four barrel with long and short maniford runners...
Motorcycle land speed racing... wearing animal hides and clinging to vibrating oily machines propelled by fire
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

Truckedup wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:36 am Harry...I found that water heating the intake only required 5/16 steel lines..I even had a valve on one line to restrict the flow...In the hotter weather where you are you might be able to turn off the water after the engine is fully warmed up...Have a cable control in the cab...I was using an aluminum intake than will run cooler than cast steel/iron...Three carbs close to the engine might not have vaporization issues like a single four barrel with long and short maniford runners...
Thanks, Tony. That's probably what I will do, only was thinking 3/8" coolant lines. I have had very good luck running the mid '60s Ford water heated / cooled thermo base plates with Holley and Autolite carbs (both 4bbl and 2bbl). So was considering machining something similar for the DCNF carbs to go between carb and intake.

However, I don't want to butcher the hood on the '57...... So I am looking at working a coolant line beneath each plenum and possibly the outboard halves of the runners as well. My intake is aluminum. Not counting the small plenums beneath each carb, individual runner length is 7-1/2" from plenum to where the intake bolts to the head (siamesed ports in head).

Initially considered extending a center divider (tongue) from the intake into each of the 3 sets of paired, siamesed runners, but there is not enough CSA if I split the siamesed ports to allow the 292 to reach even the self-imposed 5,000 RPM redline I have designed it for. So it will remain a siamesed runner tractor type head with plenty of flow capacity but no way to increase individual port velocity to optimum at redline. Will just have to do the lump port thing and increase valve size and go with that.

Best regards,

Harry
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

Harry, I drilled and tapped a hole in the front of my water pump near the inlet and plumbed 3/8 hard line from there. Source is also 3/8 hard line from the cylinder head. Both lines are plumbed under the manifold in the usual way. Seems to have plenty of heat. Point of reference if you find it helpful.

Manifold is cast iron from a propane application (kind of looks like a Clifford) that did not have any heat provision so I added a plate under the manifold just near the carb, not the whole manifold length.

Mike
enigma57
Guru
Guru

Post by enigma57 »

:D Sounds like a great way to do it, Mike! I have 3 separate plenums under 3 carbs to heat, but it should be pretty much as you and Tony describe X 3.

Thanks,

Harry