6.4 Ford sleeve install

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

gn69z28
Pro
Pro
6.4 Ford sleeve install

Post by gn69z28 »

Customer just dropped off a 6.4 Ford diesel needing a sleeve in one cylinder. LA sleeve makes a sleeve especially for this engine. Part no. FORD64FLG. Since it has a flange at top to hold it in place how much press fit would be advisable. Has anyone here done one? Anything to look out for? Thanks
modok
Guru
Guru
Re: 6.4 Ford sleeve install

Post by modok »

I like about .002-.0025, with .190 wall sleeve
What to look out for....cheek that the bottom of the sleeve is square to the OD, and has a small chamfer.

The bottom of the cylinder hangs down into the crankcase by the cam, and it's fairly thin.
If boring to the next oversize i would put the step a safe 3/4" shy of the bottom, but if the job is to sleeve back to the existing size, you will just have to look at it and decide how close to the edge to be....to make the best of it.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

Call LA Sleeve and ask them ? They have always been very helpful when I called. I prefer to hear it from the manufacturer rather than a bunch of guesses :)
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
MotionMachine
Guru
Guru

Post by MotionMachine »

.0015" press is all you'll need. Make the counterbore .004" larger than the flange o.d. Best to install with liquid nitrogen, leave sleeve slightly proud and deck flush. A 1" ribbon of an anaerobic sealer low in the bore will be good leak insurance. Obviously bore the hole .010" or so deeper than the sleeve overall length.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

OOPS I misread. I thought he said it has no flange.