Gas ports and the intake stroke

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

englertracing
Guru
Guru
Gas ports and the intake stroke

Post by englertracing »

I have a little engine with a big oil consumption problem, 80 mm bore 0.8mm top ring 1.5mm oil control.

It has lateral gas ports, it got me thinking about what happens with those gas ports during the intake stroke. I'm thinking on the intake stroke if the ring is moving to the top of the groove that it can allow oil to come through the bottom of the Ring Groove and the ring, around the back of the Ring, and right out through the gas ports. particularly if the case pressure is high and the cylinder pressure is very low. I think typically on a three ring piston that the second ring will prevent or hide this. has anyone ever run into gas ports causing issues
Last edited by englertracing on Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Re: Gas ports and the intake stroke

Post by Warp Speed »

englertracing wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:10 pm I have a little engine with a big oil consumption problem, 80 mm bore 0.8mm top ring 1.5mm oil control.
I'm sorry!?! :(
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Yeah I'm using the talk to text thing, and it fired the post off a little bit early
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:15 pm
englertracing wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:10 pm I have a little engine with a big oil consumption problem, 80 mm bore 0.8mm top ring 1.5mm oil control.
And I should add, if your having trouble, it isn't because of ring size or gas ports! :wink:
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

englertracing wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:16 pm Yeah I'm using the talk to text thing, and it fired the post off a little bit early
Lol
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:18 pm
And I should add, if your having trouble, it isn't because of ring size or gas ports! :wink:
well then I will add that, the case venting is less than ideal which is being addressed, my bearing clearances are freaking gigantic think four thousands, on an inch and a half Journal. That will be corrected as well, oem specifies a 1060 oil presumably too deal with whatever random clearance the engine ended up with. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to omit the gas ports from the new Pistons, and use a 2 mm Oil ring.

so you don't think that gas ports on a 2 ring piston could lead to reverse Blow by on the intake stroke
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

englertracing wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm

well then I will add that, the case venting is less than ideal which is being addressed, my bearing clearances are freaking gigantic think four thousands, on an inch and a half Journal. That will be corrected as well, oem specifies a 1060 oil presumably too deal with whatever random clearance the engine ended up with. I'm thinking it would be a good idea to omit the gas ports from the new Pistons, and use a 2 mm Oil ring.

so you don't think that gas ports on a 2 ring piston could lead to reverse Blow by on the intake stroke
It depends on the quality and placement of the gas ports. Assuming this is all good (this is the 21st century! Lol), I certainly wouldn't think so.
2 ring deals can be challenging oil consumption wise (for very little if any gain, especially with a .8mm pack), but many do it all the time.
I would work on your oil control and venting, as you've mentioned, and make sure things are minimum gap wise on your oil ring, and radial tension with it is sufficient also.
The rest is up to bore prep.....
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

englertracing wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 9:21 pm

I corrected an upper end oiling issue by putting the Napier THG second ring in the correct way ..it wasn't me who did that.

With a 2mm ultra low tension oil set , its smoked like a train
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Warp Speed wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:02 pm
It depends on the quality and placement of the gas ports. Assuming this is all good (this is the 21st century! Lol), I certainly wouldn't think so.
2 ring deals can be challenging oil consumption wise (for very little if any gain, especially with a .8mm pack), but many do it all the time.
I would work on your oil control and venting, as you've mentioned, and make sure things are minimum gap wise on your oil ring, and radial tension with it is sufficient also.
The rest is up to bore prep.....
Gas ports done at Cp... Look good, always check them for burrs,
Bore is nikasil. Done by millienium plating.

Oem is a 2 ring setup
1mm top steel ring I believe it is TiNi coated. Beveled on the inside diameter
Oil ring is 2mm, rails are 0.017" x 0.086" from what I can gather it's in the 6-8lb range

My current setup
0.8mm cp top ring chrome nitride no bevel cut.
Oil ring is 1.5mm rails 0.012" x 0.078" from what I can gather it's around 4lbs tension

I'm still thinking I'm drowning it in oil, my anemic oil ring is allowing the molasses oil by, and although it's not the top rings job, without a scraper the top ring is tasked with what would normally be handled by the scraper, and the gas ports are allowing leakage from case to cylinder during conditions where case pressure is greater than cylinder pressure. By fixing everything else maybe I can run my 1.5mm setup, but, I'd rather attack from all avenues.

If I'm already revising the pistons for other reasons do you think it would be worthwhile to change the ring package to 0.8mm 2mm?

Some pictures of a set that I never ran
IMAG2480.jpg
Something that concerns me is that it's only got 4 oil drain back holes, the other 4 are the "forced pin oilers" thinking i am going to do 8 drainback holes.
IMAG2480.jpg
8 gas ports evenly spaced, 2 above each skirt, 2 above each side of the pin
IMAG2475.jpg
IMAG2480.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

gmrocket wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 10:11 pm
I corrected an upper end oiling issue by putting the Napier THG second ring in the correct way ..it wasn't me who did that.

With a 2mm ultra low tension oil set , its smoked like a train
I wish I could add a THG! And leave the 1.5mm oil ring would probably work great! But I think my compression height is a little below what I can get away with.
englertracing
Guru
Guru

Post by englertracing »

Bump