Correcting Cylinder out of round and taper

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Re: Correcting Cylinder out of round and taper

Post by ProPower engines »

jed wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:31 am How do you use a AN style Sunnen hone in a CK10??
Dalepena made a friction hone head that used Sunnen AN style shoes and stones. Had one years ago that fit the CK-10
for doing small air cooled stuff left over from another machine.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
hoodeng
HotPass
HotPass

Post by hoodeng »

When i said you can straighten up a bore with minimal stock removal, it was with the AN keyway stone/wiper set which have leading and trailing work edges albeit equidistant giving eight contact points, I am thinking this may behave like the 10°hunting stone on the CV head.

I know this works as i perform this job regularly where the bore is pretty sound but the piston in it's current oversize has excessive bore clearance.
Early V twin engines where the customer wants to retain the original cylinders due to their markings, may well be on their last bore so a little chasing makes for a happy customer.
Yes i know we can do liners, but some of these cylinders have precious little wall left even with using thin wall liners, and it is very uncommon to find correct for year cylinders in near std bore condition [or any regular oversize's] around these days,everything has been picked over to death.
I did note on the 'Liner advice' post mention of very thin liners,in the past we have had our fingers burnt with liners moving if the engine has been overheated which is not that uncommon with some of these early engines. We can not control the environment some guys subject these old birds to.

Cheers.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Yes the key way stones work really good for taper AND blocks where you can't over stroke very much.
Also keep in mind that you can turn the block over and hone from the bottom or crankshaft end.
Flipping the block can help with straighting out taper and out of round cylinders.
It is kind of hard to get used to but it works.
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

"Can't hone the block from the bottom on V-8 the webbing is in the way. There is not fixture to hold the block up side down"

I have been doing what people have told me can't be done all my life.
Think out side the box you will find it satisfying and rewarding.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Sure you can! why not?
Honing for instance....a outboard two stroke v6, the AN kewyay stones sets are the best IMO, very STABLE yet compact so it fits.
simon010

Post by simon010 »

a torque plate is often a good idea also

rgds
simon
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

BLOCKMAN wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 3:37 pm
modok wrote: Sun Aug 18, 2019 2:32 pm Sure you can! why not?
Honing for instance....a outboard two stroke v6, the AN kewyay stones sets are the best IMO, very STABLE yet compact so it fits.

I don't think the OP is talking about working on a two stroke. If so could you quote where he is working on a two stroke ?????????
I think he's talking about honing a bore. The actual engine is not mentioned as usual.
and I take that to mean I can talk about any bore I want. Subarus have the same trouble, no room to overstroke, holes in the bore, flexy walls.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

Great info guys. I'm looking on ebay for something. ....Damn expensive given there are so many for sale and they are not selling at their asking prices....
Drop your prices or starting bids guys!!!!