Reverse rotation engine

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Reverse rotation engine

Post by Roundybout »

Should the oil holes be "clocked" differently on a reverse rotation crank compared to a standard rotation crank? I've got two cranks here, standard and reverse rotation and the oil holes are in the same spot on both of them. That doesn't seem right in my head, is it?
rustbucket79
Guru
Guru
Re: Reverse rotation engine

Post by rustbucket79 »

The reverse rotation cranks that have knurling on the rear seal surface will have opposite direction knurling. That’s an interesting question on the oil clocking.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Roundybout wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:09 pm Should the oil holes be "clocked" differently on a reverse rotation crank compared to a standard rotation crank? I've got two cranks here, standard and reverse rotation and the oil holes are in the same spot on both of them. That doesn't seem right in my head, is it?
I guess you are talking about the direction on the oil hole chamfer?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

GARY C wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:18 am
Roundybout wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 5:09 pm Should the oil holes be "clocked" differently on a reverse rotation crank compared to a standard rotation crank? I've got two cranks here, standard and reverse rotation and the oil holes are in the same spot on both of them. That doesn't seem right in my head, is it?

I guess you are talking about the direction on the oil hole chamfer?
Yes, the chamfer is the same direction as the standard crank I have to compare too as well as the oil holes seemingly being fed into an area that wouldn't be as favorable to forming the hydrodynamic wedge. These are DD 4-53 marine cranks. I've tried looking at some pictures online to compare as I'm not totally familiar with these engines.
BlitzA64
Expert
Expert

Post by BlitzA64 »

I have a 3.75" ODD FIRE v6 crank for reverse rotation that has the oil holes in rod journals clocked differently. I wanted to run it standard rotation due to ease of camshaft options but got scared it would eat itself.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

Well I fired off an email with a picture of the crank to the supplier and his one sentence reply was "That's not right send it back".

Some of the pictures online of these cranks show different variations on oil hole clocking and chamfer patterns on those holes. Possibly with the lower RPM these engines see it doesn't matter? Still though, they are under tremendous load at low RPM and this just didn't "look right" and apparently the guy who supplied it agrees.