Dipsticks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

cgarb
Guru
Guru

Re: Dipsticks

Post by cgarb »

Be nice to make a stand pipe off of the bottom of the pan with a plug. Remove the plug, fill with oil till it runs out the hole and put the plug back in.
BillK
Guru
Guru

Post by BillK »

What kind of engine are we talking about here ?
Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md

www.enginerepairshop.com
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

GM 3.5 V6 (RPO LX9)
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

yep, GM LX9 V6, 3.5l "3500". the engine is very similar to a 3400 like you would find in a grand am or impala. Mine has a large cam, ported heads/intakes, and will be turbocharged. it's going into a 5 speed Fiero, so the dipstick being on the front of the engine makes checking level slightly more of a PITA, and if I want to make it easier, the best time to do it is now while the engine is out.
Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:45 pm If you are going to make your own dipstick AND leave it installed when the engine is running, it would be a good idea to pull the pan and make sure that it will not foul the rotating assembly in some way.
that's a very good point, thanks. in this particular instance, the dipstick tube causes the whole dipstick tube to be inserted through a hole in the windage tray, and then the stick pokes out the bottom. I'll do an inspection before I call it finished.