Dipsticks

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

ericjon262
Dipsticks

Post by ericjon262 »

not a super technical post, but my engines dipstick is in a PITA spot to get to, I was wondering what was out there for a more flexible dipstick that might be able to take sharper bends so that I can move the stick to a more reasonable place. I was maybe thinking about a cable instead of a stick, crimp two ferrells on, one at max fill, one a quart down? any reason that wouldn't work or would be a bad idea?
jred
Expert
Expert

Re: Dipsticks

Post by jred »

lokar maybe
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

yeah, I saw some of their stuff, it looks like it might work, a little blingy for my tastes, but if nothing else works its an option.
ericjon262

Post by ericjon262 »

looking at this a bit further, lokar has cable dipsticks similar to what I described above, the problem is that the end is still a rigid piece, and won't go down a tube.

I think I should be able to make my own, I think the biggest problem, will be that if the ferrells do not have an adequate taper, they could become stuck on the tube while removing to check level, which could be easily be fixed.
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

A small steel tape measure might be a source of flexible strip if you try to make your own. Just a thought.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Instead of a crimped ferrule you might consider heat shrink tubing that is applied and then trimmed at one end to match the measurement from the handle. This will require you to make accurate measurements (record them).

On my old Mercedes ML430, the transmission cable tube has a locking cap. The (quite long) cable with handle must be purchased separately (I am assuming this is to dissuade service outside a dealership). This is so you have an idea of parts sources. There are many MLs in the wrecking yards now (to obtain the locking cap if you want to coil and store the dipstick/cable until use).

http://www.insultab.com/technical-info/ ... chart.html

Talk to these folks -- their tech reps should be able to advise on material choice. The hurdle that you might have is a minimum order. Maybe you can pay for a sample quantity.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
strokersix
Pro
Pro

Post by strokersix »

No need to make measurements. Check oil level with old stick. Put in new stick and then mark it where the oil level is. A center punch mark works fine.
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

Always calibrate a new stick by draining the oil completely and installing a new filter. Fill the engine one quart low. Idle the engine briefly and then allow it to sit for an hour on level ground. Measure the distance. Add a quart and repeat.

The wrong dipstick might be being used (common issue with some engines with multiple owners). The wrong dipstick tube might be being used. The oil pans, while looking very, very similar and being specced for the same application can have different internal contours and this means the fill rate/level is not linear.
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
plovett
Expert
Expert

Post by plovett »

This may be a silly idea, but what if you cut your current dipstick lengthwise, by half? That is, reduce the width. That would make it easier to insert and also make it more flexible. Maybe you could grind it instead of cutting it?

A little difficult to do on something so long and thin, but doable. Maybe?

paulie
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 am Always calibrate a new stick by draining the oil completely and installing a new filter. Fill the engine one quart low. Idle the engine briefly and then allow it to sit for an hour on level ground. Measure the distance. Add a quart and repeat.

The wrong dipstick might be being used (common issue with some engines with multiple owners). The wrong dipstick tube might be being used. The oil pans, while looking very, very similar and being specced for the same application can have different internal contours and this means the fill rate/level is not linear.
There are a shocking number of newer vehicles where, if you do an oil change and add the specified amount of oil (say 6 quarts with filter), the oil level wlll be at the add mark, if that.

How would you feel if you went to get your oil changed and they did their job correctly, and then at your next fillup you checked the oil and the device that is supposed to tell you the oil level says that your oil is a quart low?
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 3:55 am
On my old Mercedes ML430, the transmission cable tube has a locking cap. The (quite long) cable with handle must be purchased separately (I am assuming this is to dissuade service outside a dealership).
ZF's been doing this for a while. Being perfectionists, they want to measure the fluid level from the bottom of the pan up, not from the top of some arbitrary dipstick tube down. So, they provide a tube, and there is a special service tool that you have to buy. Or look up the specification and make your own out of an extra-long dipstick from a van or something.

GM engineers did the same thing with their trans dipsticks, except they just used a slightly overlong stick that you had to cram into the tube and lock in place. That wouldn't fly for ZF engineers :)

I figure, at least they gave you a dipstick tube to check and fill from, instead of a checking plug on the side or in the pan.
WoundUp

Post by WoundUp »

peejay wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 am
Kevin Johnson wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:16 am Always calibrate a new stick by draining the oil completely and installing a new filter. Fill the engine one quart low. Idle the engine briefly and then allow it to sit for an hour on level ground. Measure the distance. Add a quart and repeat.

There are a shocking number of newer vehicles where, if you do an oil change and add the specified amount of oil (say 6 quarts with filter), the oil level wlll be at the add mark, if that.

How would you feel if you went to get your oil changed and they did their job correctly, and then at your next fillup you checked the oil and the device that is supposed to tell you the oil level says that your oil is a quart low?
Ive done my share of oil changes at work when we're slow and haven't seen this issue personally. They all match the stick when I do them. Or the computer/console display for those BMW's and things.

You can use a cable style dipstick. OEM's do it all the time. Just use something similar to bicycle brake cable, only thicker, with a handle and a full mark identified on it like you described. That's what they do, with a small plastic piece attached to the end with Add & Full marks.

For an example, you can look at a 2017 Chevy Traverse dipstick. It's the cable style.

You can see how they did the marks on this trans cable dipstick, as well. I see no reason the cable idea won't work.

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

If you are going to make your own dipstick AND leave it installed when the engine is running, it would be a good idea to pull the pan and make sure that it will not foul the rotating assembly in some way.
peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay »

WoundUp wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:57 pm
peejay wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:49 am

Ive done my share of oil changes at work when we're slow and haven't seen this issue personally. They all match the stick when I do them. Or the computer/console display for those BMW's and things.
You haven't worked on enough Ford and Chrysler products from the late 90s/early 00s, then. Some of those were notorious for having dipsticks that didn't match spec oil capacity.

GM and imports tend to be spot-on.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

Those little flexible bore cameras can be found cheap on Amazon and such places. With the oil drained you can fandangle it into the drain plug opening and try to spy the dipstick and it's relation to how far away it is from the rotating assembly, floor of the pan and so on to get an idea what your seeing on the dipstick is accurate.