Are the "aerodynamic" billet 4150 main bodies better performers?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BradH
Guru
Guru
Are the "aerodynamic" billet 4150 main bodies better performers?

Post by BradH »

Now that the BLP BX4 and APD Billet Enforcer style of 4150 main bodies have been available for a few years, have builders & end users found performance improvements with this longer & streamlined venturi design compared to traditional Holley HP-style main bodies of the same venturi size?

I've seen certain carb builders claiming improved booster signal and shift recovery with them which, from my experience, would only show up in on-track testing. They certainly "look" better strictly from how I'd expect the airflow would behave, but... ? Thanks - Brad

Pics: PS BX4-style Ven*m VX annular; side-by-side of HP-styles: Holley Ultra w/ annulars & QFT w/ annulars
pro_systems_venom_vx_an.jpg
HLY 1.58 AN_QFT 1.58 AN.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BradH
Guru
Guru
Re: Are the "aerodynamic" billet 4150 main bodies better performers?

Post by BradH »

Ignoring the different styles of boosters, here's another view showing a BLP BX4 1.59" v from the top along w/ the same Holley Ultra 1.58" v shown above. There's obviously some significant differences in the air's approach to the venture and what "obstacles" it has to navigate along the way, but I'm still wondering if anyone had some comparison testing that confirmed an advantage with the new-design main body. Thx - Brad
BLP BX 1.59_HLY UH-XP 1.58 AN_2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

The venturi of those two bodies certainly don’t “look” to only be .010” difference in diameter.

You’ve thinned out your carb herd a bit right?

I think you should get one of those bodies and see how it works. 8)
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
BradH
Guru
Guru

Post by BradH »

PRH wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:15 pm You’ve thinned out your carb herd a bit right?
Probably not thin enough for my taste (or cash flow)...
Carb Stable meme.jpg
PRH wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 1:15 pm I think you should get one of those bodies and see how it works. 8)
It would be nice if I didn't feel like I have to be the guinea pig to answer these kind of questions. You'd think somebody besides an OCD dumba$$ amateur like me would have already "been there, done that" and could provide some feedback.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

BradH wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:27 pm Now that the BLP BX4 and APD Billet Enforcer style of 4150 main bodies have been available for a few years, have builders & end users found performance improvements with this longer & streamlined venturi design compared to traditional Holley HP-style main bodies of the same venturi size?

I've seen certain carb builders claiming improved booster signal and shift recovery with them which, from my experience, would only show up in on-track testing. They certainly "look" better strictly from how I'd expect the airflow would behave, but... ? Thanks - Brad

Pics: PS BX4-style Ven*m VX annular; side-by-side of HP-styles: Holley Ultra w/ annulars & QFT w/ annulars
I can tell you first hand that the "Dual Oval" carbs from "Get'm Garage" do work very well at providing more power.
However, because they don't have 4 distinct venturi ... that they have been ruled illegal in some associations having rules requiring a 4150 style carb.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Mike Laws
Pro
Pro

Post by Mike Laws »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Aug 14, 2019 2:16 pm
BradH wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:27 pm Now that the BLP BX4 and APD Billet Enforcer style of 4150 main bodies have been available for a few years, have builders & end users found performance improvements with this longer & streamlined venturi design compared to traditional Holley HP-style main bodies of the same venturi size?

I can tell you first hand that the "Dual Oval" carbs from "Get'm Garage" do work very well at providing more power.
However, because they don't have 4 distinct venturi ... that they have been ruled illegal in some associations having rules requiring a 4150 style carb.
This is true. The "dual oval" carbs make more power due to physics. More air flow and favorable venturi to throttle bore ratio will always = more power. It's interesting that associations will outlaw a 2-bbl (dual oval blades) over a 4-bbl...
Mike Laws Performance
jmarkaudio
Vendor

Post by jmarkaudio »

If you research Venturi then you find that there are ideal entrance and exit tapers to lose the least flow thru the Venturi. If you stray too far then you create turbulence, not good for airflow/reduced pumping losses or booster signal. I've seen issues with the Ultra 950 bodies, and with Demons over 1.500 Venturi. Primarily the shape of the entrance seems to be the problem, it makes too sharp of a turn to get the the Venturi point. The billet and the Quick Fuel bodies don't have that issue, for a cast body the QF/Proform even in the carbs with a choke tower outperform the Holley bodies. It can travel part way straight down, but they have a taper before the Venturi point that corrects flow. The larger Holley and Demon make too sharp of a turn into the Venturi. And it reminded me of something Grumpy said years ago about the small block heads, you have to have a straight section before the valve seat on the short turn side to allow airflow to straighten before the valve. Too much of a turn and the air tumbles.
Mark Whitener
www.racingfuelsystems.com
____

Good work isn't cheap and cheap work can't be good.