liner advice

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
liner advice

Post by rebelrouser »

Just need some free advice if I can get it. I posted a while back that I windowed my aluminum world products RB mopar block. I borrowed a mill and cut out the broken sections, made some repair pieces, and had it welded back together, turned out really well, hard to see where it was broken. Took it to my regular engine machinist to get it bored for the damaged hole, and it needed a .010 bigger outside diameter sleeve, on the welded hole to make it straight, which took a month to get. The other bores had many runs on them and a few scratches, and as it turned out a little distortion from the damage and repairs. Anyway 4.50 bore is the next practical size to take it. The stock sleeves are 4.685 outside diameter, and with the 4.5 bore that leaves .185 and divided 1/2 that should leave .0925 wall thickness, dry liner pressed into aluminum about 1/2 inch thick, from what I saw on the damaged hole. My machinist thinks it will fly, what do you guys think? Camshaft fits in and spins free after the welding, so I think it might just be on the road to getting fixed. Mains look good with a straight edge as well, will see more when he align hones it. I have never tried to fix a block damaged this bad, just nervous I guess.
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Re: liner advice

Post by PackardV8 »

On the one hand, Ford built cars, trucks and tractors with .040" sleeves.
On the other hand, aluminum expands at a different rate than would an iron block/steel sleeve.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Having been down this road do you recall what the original recommended max press fit should be when the liners
were installed new.
I had to get that from world years ago for a same issue but it seems to me that .001" dry no retaining compound was the number. Some I have seen as a slip fit with the block warned to 200 degrees
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

ProPower engines wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 6:53 pm Having been down this road do you recall what the original recommended max press fit should be when the liners
were installed new.
I had to get that from world years ago for a same issue but it seems to me that .001" dry no retaining compound was the number. Some I have seen as a slip fit with the block warned to 200 degrees
world products told me that the interference fit of the sleeves are .003 when the block was new, the oversize sleeve we replaced came in at .004 oversize fit. The shop has an oven to heat the block to install the sleeve, and he said it went in good.