How far can I go with the thermactor hump (porting)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
Re: How far can I go with the thermactor hump (porting)

Post by travis »

Charlie, how much was you able to take off the intake side of the exhaust bowl? Mine has a pretty significant “lump” in the bowl on that side that sticks out into the exhaust flow path quite a bit, but I understand that side is pretty thin.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

travis wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:06 pm Charlie, how much was you able to take off the intake side of the exhaust bowl? Mine has a pretty significant “lump” in the bowl on that side that sticks out into the exhaust flow path quite a bit, but I understand that side is pretty thin.
Without a good sonic I would say .050" max. Just give it some shape and go easy. That side is hot due to limited water between the ports.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
Abbottracingheads
Expert
Expert

Post by Abbottracingheads »

You can grind the whole thermactor bump out. Do not go down beside the guide boss on the intake valve side of the port very much because there is water there. Been there done that.
Abbott Racing Heads and Engines
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Resized_20190824_130840_703.jpeg
Abbottracingheads wrote: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:51 pm You can grind the whole thermactor bump out. Do not go down beside the guide boss on the intake valve side of the port very much because there is water there. Been there done that.
This is good advice. This is a 289 cutaway, notice how close the Intake and exhaust ports are.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST