How far can I go with the thermactor hump (porting)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

travis
Guru
Guru
How far can I go with the thermactor hump (porting)

Post by travis »

I’m sick of iron, and sick of Ford’s at the moment :lol:
0878B42D-1FE7-4086-A7EA-C0294CFF128B.jpeg
0CB9DD01-9226-416D-BF11-D43285991D95.jpeg

How much more, if any, should I take out on the flange side of the exhaust port guide boss?

Btw...it is absolutely ridiculous how much iron is in that thermactor boss.

Can I/should I square up that lower right hand corner of the exhaust port as well? That would actually be the left side of the roof if the head was oriented correctly.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Re: How far can I go with the thermactor hump (porting)

Post by PRH »

I would think the more pertinent first question, before you even started whittling should be.......how good does it need to be for the application?

I’m assuming since there’s a hole there, that it’s drilled initially from the bowl area, and that it could be tapped and something threaded into it?

I’d probably try and use something like a brass screw(easier to grind) threaded way down into the hole........ and then grind away some of the sides on that boss, and leave the new screw material as sort of a vane.

No ford heads here to look at, so maybe that’s not really feasible.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I may knock the height down a bit but I never ground it out like that. I like a minimum of 2" of guide length. See if you can find a picture of a cutaway of that exhaust port on the web.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

The guide/boss is still stock...this is just the massive thermactor hump behind the guide
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

Sorry, I thought that was the valve guide you cut into. Which casting is this. You need sharp burrs and gorilla forearms to tackle them. Lots of grinding
631-816-4911
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

With the typical street or street/strip stuff...... I go after the biggest gain for the least amount of work.

I’m not spending a bunch of extra time chasing down a few cfm.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Carnut1 wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:41 pm Sorry, I thought that was the valve guide you cut into. Which casting is this. You need sharp burrs and gorilla forearms to tackle them. Lots of grinding
Yeah...tell me about it...my hands and shoulders are f’n killing me right now :lol:

This started as a basic mild bowl blend...the intakes aren’t “terrible” looking for smogger junk, but these have the worst looking exhaust port of any head I’ve ever seen. I don’t know if it gained any flow but they are definitely lighter now :lol:

The guides, valves, and seats are in shockingly good shape for having a 1/4 million miles on them. But then again, 8.1-1 compression, a 195@.050 cam with .416” lift, and supposedly 210hp probably didn’t stress anything too much.

These will be going on yet another low $$$ 351w in one of my buddies cars...either a ‘82 LTD 4 door or a ‘80 or ‘81 mustang. The mustang has a 255 v-8 and something like 2.26 or 2.29 gears and a C-4...it is absolutely horrible :lol:
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

PRH wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:47 pm With the typical street or street/strip stuff...... I go after the biggest gain for the least amount of work.

I’m not spending a bunch of extra time chasing down a few cfm.
That was the plan...quick bowl blend and short turn work and call it good. I should have stopped there.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm I’m sick of iron, and sick of Ford’s at the moment :lol:

How much more, if any, should I take out on the flange side of the exhaust port guide boss?

Can I/should I square up that lower right hand corner of the exhaust port as well? That would actually be the left side of the roof if the head was oriented correctly.
About .060" before you hit water is the most you can go. Getting to that point is another question.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

These will be going on yet another low $$$ 351w in one of my buddies cars...either a ‘82 LTD 4 door or a ‘80 or ‘81 mustang. The mustang has a 255 v-8 and something like 2.26 or 2.29 gears and a C-4...it is absolutely horrible :lol:
Sounds like one of those 1-1.5hrs per head jobs to me.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:10 pm
travis wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:08 pm I’m sick of iron, and sick of Ford’s at the moment :lol:

About .060" before you hit water is the most you can go. Getting to that point is another question.
Are you talking about the roof, or that corner (or both)?

I haven’t raised the roof yet...just kinda smoothed everything out, took a tiny bit off the short turn, whittled some off the huge intake guide bosses, and of course what I’ve taken out of the thermactor boss.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

travis wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:46 pm

Are you talking about the roof, or that corner (or both)?

I haven’t raised the roof yet...just kinda smoothed everything out, took a tiny bit off the short turn, whittled some off the huge intake guide bosses, and of course what I’ve taken out of the thermactor boss.
Both the back wall to the sides of the guide and the roof.
I have used a sonic checker to be sure not to go to far. Some ports are thicker than others.

Only go back to the rear of the actual thermactor hole if you are not sure
The photos you show is safe.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 9:31 pm
Both the back wall to the sides of the guide and the roof.
I have used a sonic checker to be sure not to go to far. Some ports are thicker than others.

Only go back to the rear of the actual thermactor hole if you are not sure
The photos you show is safe.
Thanks Walter
Joe-71
Pro
Pro

Post by Joe-71 »

It would be much easier with round stones and a high speed grinder such as a Dewalt. Gives a much nicer radius, better control of material removed. The E-7 style EGR hump can be nearly made flat with the roof if done properly in the bowl. Those ports can be brought up to 180 cfm without a pipe. Joe-JDC
Joe-71
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

I did a set of 289 that had that style exhaust port. I don't think it flowed 100 cfm stock. It got much better giving it some room around the guide and shrinking the boss a bit. Was not for a high rpm build, mild street 306.
631-816-4911