SBC tall deck block rod length

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
SBC tall deck block rod length

Post by Dragsinger »

I have a decision to make and am requestion experienced help.

I have a Brodix aluminum small block with 9.30 deck height. [4.125 bore x 3.80] the same short block has a 6.250 rod and a piston with 1.150 compression height. This is complete, balanced, running assembly, operating without problems but it is a high RPM, high maintenance package

I am removing the radical 11-degree heads and sheet metal intake and replace them with a nice set of fully worked Brodix dragon slayer heads and fully worked Super Victor II intake. [the 11-degree parts are all for sale and the setup is too radical for my usage]

I will be buying a shelf 23-degree piston with the pin relocated, several piston manufactures offer relocating a self stock pin for a small cost.

I expect this engine to make around 720 horse with an operating range between 6200 - 7800 RPM. It will be in a 2900 pound door car with an expected 5.90 1/8 ET. It will be Methanol fuel with carb.

Now to the question, keep the 6.250 rods or replace them with 6.0 rods? I will need to buy pistons either way and of course, if the 6.250 rods will perform as I want, it will save the cost of rods.
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Re: SBC tall deck block rod length

Post by Roundybout »

I'd keep the 6.250 rods if you're buying pistons anyway. Piston will most likely be a little lighter too than the 6.0 rod combo. The 6.0 combo might give a bit more leeway on ring package placement if using nitrous or forced induction but isn't a concern here.