Sbf oil pump for 8000 rpm

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

silver_notch138
Re: Sbf oil pump for 8000 rpm

Post by silver_notch138 »

I’m curious have you ever measured a hot block and crank at the same temperature to see if the block dimensions inside the housing bore with bearing installed actually grew .0015 larger than the crankshaft would? I have not honestly so I don’t know.
Yes dry sump is on the menu. Or at the least external wet sump.
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

silver_notch138 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 6:14 pm I’m curious have you ever measured a hot block and crank at the same temperature to see if the block dimensions inside the housing bore with bearing installed actually grew .0015 larger than the crankshaft would? I have not honestly so I don’t know.
Yes dry sump is on the menu. Or at the least external wet sump.
YES ... I have.

GM aluminum Bow-Tie block; .0013" with a 2.45" main bearing.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

Walter; hi! Anything I can do to a Melling 10687 to make it do it’s job at 8000+ rpm?
Any pics or links to the grooves you described earlier would be great, too.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Walter R. Malik
Guru
Guru

Post by Walter R. Malik »

Walter R. Malik wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 9:36 am
I simply put anti cavitation straight grooves in the gerotor inner and outer parts on the cover end which usually is enough...

On some, I use two end plates and machine kidney shaped "Shadow Ports" through the first one.
A pump manufacturer should really think hard about making a thicker cover with this already done.

Most of the time it is windage issue within the crankcase and oil pan which over-aerates the oil..
You can't use two cover plates for large "shadow ports" because the shaft goes through that cover but, I believe there is some kind of shadow port already in it.
Use the largest pick-up tube you can fit.

EDIT: a "pressure balance" groove, sometimes called anti-cavitation groove, is just a straight groove, (100" wide & .050" deep), on the side of the fat part of the outer gerotor ring extending from the inner edge to the outer edge. 5 grooves in all. Likewise on the rotor, (looks like a plus sign +), across the rotor points.
http://www.rmcompetition.com
Specialty engine building at its finest.
KnightEngines
Guru
Guru

Post by KnightEngines »

Based of the rest of the engine specs this should, without a doubt, have either an external belt pump & big vac pump or at least a 5 stage dry sump.
You need a pump that can have it's drive ratio varied to suit the higher rpm.
A single stage moroso at around 42% drive ratio would be a starting point.
Vac pump or dry sump to de-aerate the oil, but with a boosted engine you'll make a lot of crankcase gas, so you'll need a big ass vac pump or 5+ stage dry sump pump to pull any kind of vac under boost.