Vacuum pump install; engine plate

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Vacuum pump install; engine plate

Post by Caprimaniac »

Yes;invested in a CVR vacuum pump; fitting kit and a Moroso Mandrel drive not long ago. First time out doing something like this; and first time doing a race only engine as well. Guessed there was no harm getting some In HG out of the crankcase….

Installing on a SBF 302 with front engine plate. I'd like some good advice on how to mount it on the motorplate.
IMG_0112(1).jpg

Should the rear of pump be level with front of motorplate and bracket sit at the far rear of pump?
Or; should i make (an oval, for adjustments) hole in the plate so the bracket goes to the front of pump w/ spacers? (Personally I "feel" this 2. posibility best- regarding the pump & belt placement. Pump held at front, belt close to crank snout. But worst regarding the plate- not too much material there, and the pump needs a large area to go through…)

Or; it does not really matter? Strain on pump/ belt/ cranksnout no such magnitude as of causing any problems?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
How to turn GURU in an instant.....
Dragsinger
Expert
Expert
Re: Vacuum pump install; engine plate

Post by Dragsinger »

judging by the photo, I think you will want to do a cutout [recess the pump] in the motor plate so the crank drive pulley is as close to the damper as possible
Larry Woodfin - Team Woodfin Racing - Owner, Woodfin Automotive
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

That was my thought too...

I think; Plate not too wide..... Cut a piece of the bottom out- putting pump low, leaving as much of the plate as possible.

Will have to check clearance for filter and tubing, but I think you got me in the right direction...

BTW: Not much info on this pump to be found. Seems like Moroso + Star +... is more popular. 1. impression: It's a good Product...
Caprimaniac
Guru
Guru

Post by Caprimaniac »

AE4D5713-A5AD-453A-9362-5FAFD209A2E6.jpeg
EB51782C-D393-4D2E-A7C6-E63855ABE72E.jpeg
The best I could do tight now as the spacers and bolts are to short to put it another 1/2’’ reareards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

There’s not a lot of “yank” on the pump shaft due to belt tension on a vacuum pump. I see them mounted by just the back onto the motor plate often, especially when a crank driven procharger is present. I’m not familiar with CVR but Moroso and Star pumps do fine mounted on their backside.