Vortec intake runners

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Vortec intake runners

Post by BOOT »

On the other hand I was planing on a stock cam for my donor just-send-it build but now that I have these cams and since I found out that the crate set of vortec heads aren't ideal either. Talked myself into it, don't need m-shop quality(well expected but not always my experience) I'll buy the tool Why Not! Thx for the suggestion/reminder Monza355

Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

BOOT wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 7:40 pm
1980RS wrote: Sat Jun 13, 2020 11:26 am Why waste your money on ebay china heads. I have a set of bone stock 906 Vortec heads that are on a 406 that run mid 11's @114 mph. Waste of money when a production head will get the job done.
That's your opinion and mine is I don't want to machine a set of vortecs for screw in studs atm, plus I got the other stuff to complete these bare heads. Vortec heads are decent and I will be using a set for another project. Also these heads were cheaper and quicker than getting a m-shop to redo other sets I have.
Sure is my opinion, I still have pressed in studs on the Vortec's and unless you are going to spin them to 7500 or run a ton of valve spring you don't need screw in studs. As a matter of fact in the early days I never used the screw in studs and never had one pull out. As for the China head being a good head I cannot say as I have not used any but some of my friends have and their cars did not do well with them. I know if there cheap aluminum heads were so good everyone would be using them but that's not the case. After running Vortec's a few races I would put them up against a lot of the out of the box cheapo heads any day. Hope they work out for you.
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

1980RS wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 12:46 amSure is my opinion, I still have pressed in studs on the Vortec's and unless you are going to spin them to 7500 or run a ton of valve spring you don't need screw in studs. As a matter of fact in the early days I never used the screw in studs and never had one pull out. As for the China head being a good head I cannot say as I have not used any but some of my friends have and their cars did not do well with them. I know if there cheap aluminum heads were so good everyone would be using them but that's not the case. After running Vortec's a few races I would put them up against a lot of the out of the box cheapo heads any day. Hope they work out for you.
I've had studs pull at 6000rpm with a similar cam n springs that I'll be using on the vortecs, I'd rather fix it now then get stranded, tow n tear it down later. The design of the china heads is good and I'm not going all radical or expect them to last like a brand name head(check out AFR enforcers or Blueprint heads). No offense to your friends but I see alot of people who have good parts and bad combos or don't know how to make things work. It also depends what your trying to do n what parts will help you do that, in this case vortec are not ideal for my goals. Still I'm far from an expert and only bolting them on will tell.

rebelyell
Expert
Expert

Donor motor low op & ATK motor rods

Post by rebelyell »

FYI, verbatim/ GM Powertrain's service manual for both L30(M) & L31(R) Vortecs
Oil Pressure – Minimum at Normal Operating Temperature
6 psig at 1,000 RPM
18 psig at 2,000 RPM
24 psig at 4,000 RPM

--------------------------------------
FWIW, aside from issues you found with your ATK vortec's rods; my experience tells me those may not be vortec rods.
Those are not the oft-preferred Powder Metal rods (which have smooth beams and smooth cap bottoms).

Typical L31 PM rod
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Post by BOOT »

I got another set with the vortec runners and compared them to the other sets

https://youtu.be/tC3OxGlOrjM

1980RS
Guru
Guru

Post by 1980RS »

After running high 10's with a mild ported set of Vortec's this month I am really happy with them for being a production head. Let us know if the new heads have the raised runner port.