Dart 180 cc alloy head as cast

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Re: Dart 180 cc alloy head as cast

Post by MadBill »

The AR among us might feel differently, but since the mandrell is symmetrically shaped, small in diameter and has a very low moment of inertia: No need.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

Bill,
thanks for the reply
much appreciated :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

How many CFM do you need to make 550 HP on a 10.5-1 comp 383 cube engine with a 230s duration cam ?

Randy
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Post by SpeierRacingHeads »

randy331 wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:49 am How many CFM do you need to make 550 HP on a 10.5-1 comp 383 cube engine with a 230s duration cam ?

Randy
270 cfm through induction, 290 cfm on bench at your lift of cam, on an honest dyno w/91 octane
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Steve, as an example where I dyno..

383 w/as-cast 180 heads, 14-1, 244/244 w/350 2 barrel makes 370hp

383 w/Vortec, 11-1, 228/232 w/750 makes 480hp on alcohol (derby engine)
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

All dyno and flowbench read low :lol: ////age old argument///how often do you hear the opposite?//dyno differences led to dyno competitions years ago///all engines same dyno no argument//most people no little about dynamometers and their operation
randy331
Guru
Guru

Post by randy331 »

Elroy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:07 pm All dyno and flowbench read low :lol: ////age old argument///how often do you hear the opposite?//dyno differences led to dyno competitions years ago///all engines same dyno no argument//most people no little about dynamometers and their operation
LOL Exactly !!

That's what's cool about the EMC, all engines on the same dyno, high, low, or spot on it's the same for all.

Randy
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Guess you guys have never seen a recent new DTS/Superflow sheet!

Not all dynos are the same, debate it all you want.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:59 pm Not all dynos are the same, debate it all you want.
I don't believe anyone is debating that//only that engine constest are done on same dyno to eliminate that variables and nobody advertises or says theyre dyno reads high/I have used most all major dynos. They can all be high or low//not wanting to derail cowan thread any further maybe I will start a new post and we can discuss your low reading dyno and the causes you trace that to? maybe in a different section//all dynos have possibility for high or low error. Repeatability is key along with an understanding of the equipment at hand//surprising how many people don't understand the machine they are using or own.
Elroy
Pro
Pro

Post by Elroy »

good luck steve on your results
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

Elroy wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:06 pm
SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 12:59 pm Not all dynos are the same, debate it all you want.
I don't believe anyone is debating that//only that engine constest are done on same dyno to eliminate that variables and nobody advertises or says theyre dyno reads high/I have used most all major dynos. They can all be high or low//not wanting to derail cowan thread any further maybe I will start a new post and we can discuss your low reading dyno and the causes you trace that to? maybe in a different section//all dynos have possibility for high or low error. Repeatability is key along with an understanding of the equipment at hand//surprising how many people don't understand the machine they are using or own.
Not sure why the engine contest is being mentioned? Is that to validate the other dyno?

Everything goes back to EMC. BIG World out there.

I'm not understanding?

But yea, Steve will be OK..
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

The underlying premise of outing other's "happy Dynos" appears to be a form of virtue signalling via "Lower = honester." :-k

steve cowan
Guru
Guru

Post by steve cowan »

i think the dyno conversation would be great
i have never been on a dyno so any information would be appreciated
as far as EMC- pretty good platform to make power in certain rpm parameters
debate all you guys want,i am happy for the discussion :D
steve c
"Pretty don't make power"
SpeierRacingHeads
Vendor

MadBill wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:47 pm
The underlying premise of outing other's "happy Dynos" appears to be a form of virtue signalling via "Lower = honester." :-k
When I say "happy dyno" I'm talking about the conversion used back to corrected power. There is like 4 or so being used, currently.

Selling engines = highest
Dynoing competition = lowest

25 years worth of data is also another conversation. LOTS of older shops with tones of data. They still compare. They still use it. They might be a little more on the "tight" side. MY OPINION because I've seen it over and over.

THE BEST way to know where you stand is ask the operator, what conversion? And what would be killer on your dyno for power.
Speier Racing Heads
Chad Speier
785-623-0963
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

SpeierRacingHeads wrote: Mon Nov 18, 2019 2:59 pm...THE BEST way to know where you stand is ask the operator, what conversion? And what would be killer on your dyno for power.
A few years back, a friend of mine bought a 358" SBC with a dyno sheet showing just over 600 HP. It had some decent parts in it, but nothing that could get it close to that number. I pointed out that the sheet was dated in late winter, so the 14% CF shown could only have have come from a dyno at the top of Pike's Peak... #-o