Vortec intake on older port heads?

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

BOOT
Guru
Guru

Vortec intake on older port heads?

Post by BOOT »

Ok this just popped into my head. Basically lets say you have some sportsman II's, AFR 195 or w/e non-vortec port style heads(not talking bout the ebay heads with vortec ports in my recent vid). Would you use a normal dual plane air gap with a 1205/1206 or a vortec air gap with a 1255 matching the heads of course to the vortec port(basically raising the port roof if you can)?

I mean it's not much but a taller narrower port.......

All you'd have to do is drill some holes(better than I did of course LOl) and maybe weld a tad of the roof for the intake(match head roof of course), idk don't got anything mocked up atm but thought it'd be interesting to see what some say. Even if the head port was a bit wider.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Re: Vortec intake on older port heads?

Post by midnightbluS10 »

It's possible. The GMC Syclone guys are known for swapping vortec V6 heads onto their trucks, while still using the old intake for the previous pattern LB4 4.3L V6 heads. It takes some welding and drilling of new bolt holes but it was done frequently. You could also redrill the heads to accept the old intake. For that to work with the vortec ports, they had to weld material to the intake so that it would cover the entire port. They also would use spacers between the heads and intake to make everything fit, as well, instead of welding IIRC. They also had to modify their distributor so that the mounting boss was .040" higher, to maintain correct engagement with the cam.

There's a article at www.powertuneplus.com I think. There's pictures of that conversion at http://www.tyclone.com/syty/wrench-it/v ... onversion/

I imagine doing the same thing on a V8 won't be much different. A couple of extra bolt holes, etc...
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
BOOT
Guru
Guru

Re: Vortec intake on older port heads?

Post by BOOT »

I bought a set of used vortec heads long ago that were drilled for older intakes and used a 2nd hand vic jr that was hogged out(not by me) with the double thick intake gaskets, long long before I knew anything. It was a horrible match I'm sure if I would have checked.

I'm talking bout the slightly raised port of a vortec intake VS porting a normal intake. For example maybe a vortec single plane on older bolt pattern ported heads would take less port work or something.

The opposite of what most do. Don't think I've herd of it before and maybe it's a horrible idea but I was tired and figured some clever people on here might know more about it.
Channel About My diy Projects & Reviews https://www.youtube.com/c/BOOTdiy

I know as much as I can learn and try to keep an open mind to anything!

If I didn't overthink stuff I wouldn't be on speedtalk!