New domain: www.Speed-Talk.com

The forum is currently running on the new domain and server. The old domain will remain active for a short while to forward any (less frequent) visitors.
IMPORTANT: Update your bookmarks to https://www.speed-talk.com/forum/

Air/ fuel ratio data logger

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

2x4b4fun

Re: Air/ fuel ratio data logger

Post by 2x4b4fun » Wed Sep 11, 2019 4:03 pm

LM-2
henry

donforeman

Post by donforeman » Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:53 pm

Innovate Lm-2 is a good choice. AEM makes both wide band o2 sensor controllers and has data loggers that are not too expensive. They have a very good reputation for accuracy. I have the AEM wideband controller kit that does not have a gauge - 30-0310. It goes direct to the logger of your choice, it does not have to be AEM even. It was a tossup for me between that and the LM-2, advantages and disadvantages to both.

David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus » Thu Sep 12, 2019 4:53 pm

donforeman wrote:
Thu Sep 12, 2019 1:53 pm
Innovate Lm-2 is a good choice. AEM makes both wide band o2 sensor controllers and has data loggers that are not too expensive. They have a very good reputation for accuracy. I have the AEM wideband controller kit that does not have a gauge - 30-0310. It goes direct to the logger of your choice, it does not have to be AEM even. It was a tossup for me between that and the LM-2, advantages and disadvantages to both.
We recommend, use, and sell the AEM over the Innovate.

MasterUMC

Post by MasterUMC » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:02 pm

If you can find an Innovate DL-32 thats what you want. It can take up to four 5 volt sensor device inputs and also has a G force and Vacuum (built in) Best thing about it is it also has a removable SD Card where it auto stores the data.

I picked one up for $125 and use it in my track car.

Also if you need more data inputs you can add an SSI-4 (not the plus) to add 5 more data inputs from any 5 volt sensor.

Mattax

Post by Mattax » Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:44 pm

6 cylinder puller wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:51 am
Yes I do understand that, just bouncing questions of of people would are a lot better at this than me. Just trying to find a simpler way to help me start to educate myself in how to tune engines better. 👍
Ah ha! Well, you've already been led toward a false path (and I know, because I went down it).
The AFR logger is not the tuning device you've been led to believe.
There are many reasons why. One is that its not really an AFR logger. Its interpretation of a sensor's response to oxygen.
It is a useful tool in many situations but its not the be all, end all.
6 cylinder puller wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 am
Would reading the plugs be better ?
Reading plugs after a pull is definately a good way to get an idea of what was going on inside the combustion chamber.
6 cylinder puller wrote:
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:15 am
Or what would a good desired air/fuel ratio be ?
On a pull? The one that produces the most torque over the rpms you're looking at.

Start here. there is no need to join evil Tapatalk. Just click no thanks and read what's there.
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/racingf ... html#p3408

if you're making a pull, most chassis dynos have a WBO2 that can be run with it using a tailpipe sniffer.
That will show any major trends (like going richer or leaner) during the pull.
It will be logged simultaneously with the mph and/or rpm, which is really required for a WBO2 AFR to be useful on a wide open throttle pull.

At idle, CO is probably a better way to see AFR, depending on the setup. Once in while you can find a CO meter for sale.

In situations other than idle or WOT, it is very helpful to know the throttle postition and/or manifold vacuum (pressure if you prefer to look at it that way).

donforeman

Post by donforeman » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:11 am

Mattax wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:44 pm
Ah ha! Well, you've already been led toward a false path (and I know, because I went down it).
The AFR logger is not the tuning device you've been led to believe.
There are many reasons why. One is that its not really an AFR logger. Its interpretation of a sensor's response to oxygen.
It is a useful tool in many situations but its not the be all, end all.
Yes there are a few things that can throw a wideband o2 off like a lot of overlap at idle and misfires, but seriously with a few exceptions its very good for tuning. Even the five gas can lead you down a rabbit hole if you are not paying attention. Mine would loose calibration once in a while so its gone, it was also a very expensive piece of equipment and not all that portable. Both the Innovate LM-2 and Aem Data loggers have inputs that can track other helpful data like TPS and Pressures and that does help complete the picture so we are not in complete disagreement. I would say that he is very much on the right path, with just a few minor exceptions to keep in mind.

MadBill
HotPass
HotPass

Post by MadBill » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm

A common poor boy data logger is a video recorder pointed at the instruments. I believe capturing readable data requires analog gauges.. (or maybe a Super 8 camera)
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.

peejay
Guru
Guru

Post by peejay » Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:15 pm

MadBill wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 6:04 pm
A common poor boy data logger is a video recorder pointed at the instruments. I believe capturing readable data requires analog gauges.. (or maybe a Super 8 camera)
I've done this for years.

That's the pisser. Digital video cameras do not work with LED based gauges due to the way LEDs are dimmed.