Recommend me stone grits

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

modok
Guru
Guru
Re: Recommend me stone grits

Post by modok »

AC sports wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:03 am The carbon paper idea sounds smart i guess....But i think my method is Genius!...I've been known to take a pic of the walls and then stick a protractor over the scratch pattern in the pic :-)
HA! "Smart phone" :wink: that is smart
the carbon paper trick was from about 1985, no fair

the angle does not have to be exact. It's another variable you can adjust, knowing what you want gives a bit more leeway.
A shallower crosshatch angle usually "works" like a finer finish, and vise versa. Far as break-in, and lubrication.
It's an oversimplication, but easy to remember that way.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

[/quote]

Silly way to look at it but a Lysle hone is not really a hone in the sense of the term as we use it. Its more like trying to finish hone a few thousands out of a block with a ball hone. Both have No stone control and guidance to keep the bore straight and round.

Now on ebay there is several auctions for a AN hone that do not have a buy it now but a couple with a best offer.
Again those cheapo hones were meant for a guy to just scratch up a bore to rering with no thought behind what he was doing.
It seems to me that even if a guy purchased a hone it would have a decent re-sale value down the road and for the cost of a used unit making it an investment with a good return.
Or you can just keep doing what your doing fighting with stone availability and quality for an obsolete honing method.

Rings need specific honing procedures to keep them from tearing the face of the ring off and causing oil consumption issues like those you have mentioned and the cure for that is an infinite selection of honing possibilities of the AN hone+stones
[/quote]

ProPower, I think your confusing the Lisle 15000 in question to the 3 prong spring loaded type they also make.
The 15000 is, as others have stated a rigid stone hone with micro adjustment and felt scraper guides. It's mode of operation is like the Sunnen and indeed resembles it.
AC sports
Pro
Pro

Post by AC sports »

modok wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:09 am
AC sports wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:03 am The carbon paper idea sounds smart i guess....But i think my method is Genius!...I've been known to take a pic of the walls and then stick a protractor over the scratch pattern in the pic :-)
HA! "Smart phone" :wink: that is smart
the carbon paper trick was from about 1985, no fair

the angle does not have to be exact. It's another variable you can adjust, knowing what you want gives a bit more leeway.
A shallower crosshatch angle usually "works" like a finer finish, and vise versa. Far as break-in, and lubrication.
It's an oversimplication, but easy to remember that way.
1985??? I only got my drivers licence the following year. Im pretty sure I didn't know anything about scratch patterns back then either. But had I. ....I would have used a 35 mm camera and a plastic protractor I'm sure!☺
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

A good idea is timeless.
the subject hasn't really changed much in 80 years+, if you think about it.
When did sunnen come out with this thing? I don't know, but goes WAAY back
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

AC sports wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:44 am
I think your confusing the Lisle 15000 in question to the 3 prong spring loaded type they also make.
The 15000 is, as others have stated a rigid stone hone with micro adjustment and felt scraper guides. It's mode of operation is like the Sunnen and indeed resembles it.
[/quote]

The other hone works but to fix issues you have been posting about the AN style has the best selection of
stones either silicon carbide or aluminum oxide to cover any ring job you have had issues with.

While it works for some that believe the AN hone is a big ticket tool the 1st time you try to get away with using the wrong stone thats close and you need to tear down again that AN hone will look real good :D

The older hone has had its place and todays rings are not what it was made for. Limited stone selection at best when
compared to the AN style.
I get the use what ya got deal but it don't seem like you are given up this trade any time soon. This is just another
example of needing more tools for the trade.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors