GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: accurately measuring port cross section area

Post by GARY C »

af2 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 pm
gmrocket wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 pm
GARY C wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 10:02 am
I figured it couldn't be that simple... What if I use the governments math? :)
Ya, the new discovery math won't work.
Yep it does eventually.... LOL
Thats crazy!
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

GARY C wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:42 pm
af2 wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:35 pm
gmrocket wrote: Thu Sep 12, 2019 9:21 pm

Ya, the new discovery math won't work.
Yep it does eventually.... LOL
Thats crazy!
What's crazier is I can do all of that in my head quicker than they can write the first set of numbers to try to explain it all. It's almost as if they're trying to teach kids those shortcuts I do in my head, using math lessons except it don't work like that. Either you get it or you don't, imo.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
David Redszus
Guru
Guru

Post by David Redszus »

Cross section area makes sense for a straight pipe.

What becomes of the effective cross sectional area when the pipe has a bend in it?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

David Redszus wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:35 pm Cross section area makes sense for a straight pipe.

What becomes of the effective cross sectional area when the pipe has a bend in it?
My guess is this is why probing air speed is needed in relation to cross section.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

GARY C wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:40 pm
David Redszus wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:35 pm Cross section area makes sense for a straight pipe.

My guess is this is why probing air speed is needed in relation to cross section.
How effective, or accurate is probing without an exhaust stub on the port that's the size and shape of the primary pipe used on the engine?

How would you even manage that maneuver?
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

gmrocket wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:33 pm

How effective, or accurate is probing without an exhaust stub on the port that's the size and shape of the primary pipe used on the engine?

When you develop your intake port. Do you use a naked port, a port with a radius plate, or use the intake manifold that will be used with the heads?

Stan
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Outlaw383

Post by Outlaw383 »

Gmrocket this is great thanks for sharing !
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I was speaking about the intake, I only flow the exhaust for sound with no pipe.

My guess is if you were going to try to find a way to develop an exhaust port on a flow bench you would need a pipe with probes installed or holes for probes but I would not even know where to start or what you would be looking for.
Please Note!
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

GARY C wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:17 pm

I was speaking about the intake, I only flow the exhaust for sound with no pipe.

My guess is if you were going to try to find a way to develop an exhaust port on a flow bench you would need a pipe with probes installed or holes for probes but I would not even know where to start or what you would be looking for.
Same goes for the intake,, with just a clay radius at the opening when probing, how accurate can that be ?

Sweeping runners on a single plane favor certain areas of the port over another..can't duplicate that kind of flow bias when probing.

Maybe a straight shot intake manifold like a T ram you could actually make up an entry that simulates the intake and probe down that..

But anything else, I think it's a crap shoot
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

I
Stan Weiss wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:23 pm

When you develop your intake port. Do you use a naked port, a port with a radius plate, or use the intake manifold that will be used with the heads?

Stan
I try to use the intake that will be on the engine,, or at least,, something that simulates the last few inches of the manifold exit.

It's not hard to make up a piece out of sheet metal and some epoxy or putty
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

gmrocket wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:30 pm

Same goes for the intake,, with just a clay radius at the opening when probing, how accurate can that be ?

Sweeping runners on a single plane favor certain areas of the port over another..can't duplicate that kind of flow bias when probing.

Maybe a straight shot intake manifold like a T ram you could actually make up an entry that simulates the intake and probe down that..

But anything else, I think it's a crap shoot
Yet it seems the best heads and power per cube seem to come from the guys that focus on air speed and I don't think any of them flow the head with an intake, they size the intake based on mathematical air speed and that is usually marked and measured every inch, they do the same with molds of the head for the best measurement in relation to air speed.

Phil Martin Nascar cylinder head developer has some pretty good info in his interview regarding intake design. viewtopic.php?f=47&t=57582
Please Note!
gruntguru
Guru
Guru

Post by gruntguru »

The easy answer is the CSA should lie on a plane perpendicular to the flow field. The hard part is determining where that is. . . and what to do if the perpendicular surface happens to be not flat.

In general if the bent "pipe" has constant CSA, the plane should meet the pipe walls at 90 degrees. If the bent pipe is straight tapered, the plane should meet the pipe walls at the same angle all around - 90 deg + (taper angle)/2.
HDBD
Expert
Expert

Post by HDBD »

Here is another option
http://rtstooling.com/
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

HDBD wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:54 am

Here is another option
http://rtstooling.com/
Yes I have seen that, it probably wouldn't be to hard to make but I am not sure what you would be looking for in terms of speed or pressure and you would probably have to do years of dynoing different seat and throat changes to build a data base.
Please Note!