What happen

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

jed
HotPass
HotPass

What happen

Post by jed »

This is a 6.0L LS. All of the other cylinders are good. As can be seen the 2nd ring land was torched at the ring gap.
I've seen torched Pistons but not like this.
Any thoughts
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Re: What happen

Post by prairiehotrodder »

how many miles were on it since it was put together ? Did it butt-up ? Not enough gap ?
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Less than 3K. I don't think the rings butted. The picture of the piston top shows there was no detonation.
But I think detonation was what caused the torching of the ring land.
Darin D Morgan

Post by Darin D Morgan »

Now that is a cool one! I see destruction in just about every flavor imaginable and that one is new to me. #-o
It almost looks like it had 20-30 degrees to much timing in that hole but why it didn't nip the ring land first is a mystery to me.

I think all your going to get out of this is a bunch of speculation but then again, you dont want to go back together and have the same thing happen.
Did it get only one hole or are other holes exhibiting signs?
Darin Morgan
Mast Motorsports
Induction research and development
Custom porting, CNC programs, Repair

My direct line-682-559-0321
www.MastMotorsports.com
Sales: 1-866-551-4916
info@mastmotorsports.com
Tech:1-866-551-4916
damon@mastmotorsports.com
Racer71
Pro
Pro

Post by Racer71 »

Is it me or that a lot of scuffage or galling on the skirt? I assume it be from the ring issue. Have you measured the bores with a torque plate installed post tear down?
jed
HotPass
HotPass

Post by jed »

Wow Darin didn't expect a response from you and I have to say thanks for responding. I used to do a lot of turbo charged imports high boost stuff in the range of 40/50lb and this is a new one for me. That's why I posted it.
No to the torque plate and yes to the to the scuffing. I will do more checking Monday when I am back at work.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I would put the rings back in and check the gap. Also that piston looks like it was way tight. Diamond is good stuff too. Sorry to see this :(
ClassAct
Guru
Guru

Post by ClassAct »

If that is the "backside" (not the thrust side) of the piston, I've seen this happen when the spark plug is too hot. You don't see any signs of detonation or anything weird. You just see the backside scuffed.
Roundybout
Pro
Pro

Post by Roundybout »

That almost looks like pre-ignition damage. Can you have pre-ignition without detonation? Is this an injected engine? Something wasn’t happy in that cylinder causing a lot of heat. What’s the underside of that piston look like?
BILL-C
Expert
Expert

Post by BILL-C »

Put ring back in bore and measure end gap. If gap is way too big it might cause a hot spot from the larger volume of hot blow by and fuel burning that collected in accumulator groove. Also a good idea to compare the free gap on that top ring to a good one to check for radial tension loss from excess heat.
Carlquist Competition Engines
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

Is it just me or do I see a small piece of piston ring buried sideways in the bottom of the ring land? If it is it would tend to indicate ring butting.
So much to do, so little time...
af2
Guru
Guru

Post by af2 »

jed wrote: Sat Sep 14, 2019 2:40 pm This is a 6.0L LS. All of the other cylinders are good. As can be seen the 2nd ring land was torched at the ring gap.
I've seen torched Pistons but not like this.
Any thoughts
It would be nice to see the ends of the ring. Shiny = butting
GURU is only a name.
Adam
LoganD
Pro
Pro

Post by LoganD »

Was this turbocharged or boosted in some way? From a purely visual standpoint it looks like the piston got too hot and the aluminum annealed, ruining the forging. As some have said, that scuffing looks absurd, but more importantly it's got surface pitting as if the surface hardness was very low. Some piston oil squirters would solve that.

If it wasn't turbocharged or boosted then it appears piston to wall clearance was wrong as someone suggested, which would also overheat the piston.
Orr89rocz
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Orr89rocz »

Fuel injected? Ls coils?
Curious if that cyl injector was clogged or not delivering fuel and it ran abit leaner to get hot? How did the plug look?
Also what was the dwell on the coils? Some coils have autofired at high dwells before
cjperformance
Guru
Guru

Post by cjperformance »

File fit rings with burs/chipping left on the end edge. Picks up some piston material and sticks the ring in the groove holding the gap area away from the bore, torched piston.
Craig.