Port velocity vs cfm

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

digger
Guru
Guru
Re: Port velocity vs cfm

Post by digger »

It helps to first consider a 1D viewpoint . The air speed at MPS on a given engine is dictated by the cross sectional area (dictates pressure ratio) and the discharge coefficient.
I'm keeping the bottom end and runner lengths the same etc etc for the purposes of simplifying it
Last edited by digger on Mon Sep 16, 2019 4:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

GARY C wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:52 pm After listening to all the ST interviews and reading everything on this subject I have come to the conclusion that you need a square round oval rectangle port with a mcs somewhere between the plenum and valve seat, a fast slow air speed with very abrupt long smooth gentle radius's with good cfm as long as it not at low, mid or high lift and an intake that is port matched exactly as long as it is bigger or smaller then the head... Oh and a smooth rough texture or was that rough smooth? :?

I feel like I have spent a month listening to politicians tell me how to do a budget.
But what color valves do you use??? I hate it when people leave out ALL the details :lol:
travis
Guru
Guru

Post by travis »

PRH wrote: Sun Sep 15, 2019 11:20 am Imo, for 1hp/ci............ you’re way over thinking it.
Yeah, I probably am. That’s kind of what I do #-o

They are ported as far as I am going with them other than maybe a little clean up of some rough areas. They are going to the machine shop this week for a regular 3 angle VJ and a flat .040” mill. Like you said, iiwii.

If I’m not happy with it then I’ll put some real heads on it later.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

It may or not fit in well with the rest of the overall package, but a solid cam would likely liven things up....... especially in the upper rpm.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.