General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

MadBill
Guru
Guru

Nickel Fix

Post by MadBill »

Probably the wrong section, but oh well...:

Setting the scene, our SBF Merkur road racer has had a troubled season. Early on, a cracked rocker caused a pushrod to wear through a paper-thin intake port wall and blanket the track in smoke. After a lot of unrelated distractions, got the hole epoxied up and hit the track again. Two laps in the repair failed and it was bug-fogger time once more.

Fast forward to yesterday, with the offending port now securely sleeved and pressure checked. Six laps into qualifying, the dread vapours yet again start wisping out. The good news: it wasn't internal this time, just the vacuum check valve disassembling itself. Fortunately, the car has a full undertray, so most of the parts were recovered; all except the flapper disc itself. The crew chief's desperate search for a substitute ended with a bystander saying "Here, try this." and handing him a nickel (Canada's lowest value coin).

Perfect fit! Dialed in the desired 12" Hg. and upon shut down the engine held vacuum for more than a minute. Qualified third!
Ilio Reversal 005.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
swampbuggy
Guru
Guru

Re: Nickel Fix

Post by swampbuggy »

As Smokey Y. would say "it only takes country smarts to fix it/figure it out" Cool story Bill. Mark H. =D>
mag2555
Guru
Guru
Location: Heading for a bang up with Andromeda as we all are.

Post by mag2555 »

Was the broken rocker just a fluke,or are they on the edge?
You can cut a man's tongue from his mouth, but that does not mean he’s a liar, it just shows that you fear the truth he might speak about you!
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

There's a post on a Pontiac forum where some doofus riveted a pair of quarters over the press-in oil gallery plugs on the front of the block.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/for ... p?t=833796
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

Schurkey wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:22 pm There's a post on a Pontiac forum where some doofus riveted a pair of quarters over the press-in oil gallery plugs on the front of the block.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/for ... p?t=833796
And pink taboot I guess they do not have any taps in that part of the country.
Its always the same deal if it works no one cares till the freshen up and every eye in the world can see it =D>
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Kevin Johnson »

I seem to recall dimes being used in hydraulic lifters to convert them...?
https://www.semasan.com/breaking-news-archives?utm_campaign=DrivingForce_DF272&utm_content=SeeAllLeg
MadBill
Guru
Guru

Post by MadBill »

mag2555 wrote: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:10 pm Was the broken rocker just a fluke,or are they on the edge?
Well, they had four seasons of 8,000 RPM shifts with 240# seat load on them but passed visual inspection shortly before the failure. Afterwards, the other 15 Zyglowed OK, but I'd have to say they are on borrowed time at this point.
Felix, qui potuit rerum cognscere causas.

Happy is he who can discover the cause of things.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Local shop had me rebuild his black and decker BB stone holder, pilot "wore through" somehow.

When I got it apart, then it was clear to see, the hardened thrust shim part..... had been replaced with a silver dollar.

I replaced it with a OHC lifter shim