406 sbc rotating assy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

econo racer
Expert
Expert
Re: 406 sbc rotating assy

Post by econo racer »

I noticed they only put in 2 flywheel bolts. Without the other ones how can the balance be right? :shock:
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

I watched the Skip White video earlier today and now youtube is recommending Skip White videos and showing me what their viewers watch. :)

I appears they are all Ford guys.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

I liked that balance shop video of SWP. If they are ready doing balance within 2grams on their budget assemblies thier pricing is hard to beat. Should be easy to verify every weight with a cheap scale. If part weights don't match you can believe they are just a rebox.
SWP has a nice 406 assembly w/6" rods and 12.3cc dish forged pistons for less than $1300. That would make a build a lot easier/faster for me at least.

If you try them/SWP let us know what you think. Fead back helps us all. :)
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Man, you guys are tough. #-o

He's trying to do it right, it appears, and yall still shit on him for not doing it at all and selling nothing but crap.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

econo racer wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 5:56 pm I noticed they only put in 2 flywheel bolts. Without the other ones how can the balance be right? :shock:
they are opposite each other but yeah maybe a bit lazy.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

cardo0 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 pm I liked that balance shop video of SWP. If they are ready doing balance within 2grams on their budget assemblies thier pricing is hard to beat.
Today, even the cheapest rebuilder pistons are guaranteed to be within 2 grams. Every set of SCAT/Eagle rods we've ever handled were within 2 grams and most were dead nuts even.
cardo0 wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:28 pm Fead back helps us all. :)
Agree. First hand experience only, please.

jack vines
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

I know nothing about how they balance the crank assembly. But now that I think about it,why balance with the flywheel and balancer on period? Does that mean you would have too buy that brand of each? They look like they know what there doing in my opinion. Who owns 3 new balance machines to learn on? Too much invested for novice employees.
vht

Post by vht »

I think they would be ok to deal with, as was said, they sure spent a lot of money in their shop to not know what they are doing. My engine guy doesn't want to use anything Scat, says it's junk. I know they had a lot of problems when they first came out but I don't hear about anything now. Hell, Eagle had problems too. As long as he matches the price for an Eagle assy, I don't care. I'm going to have the block checked out, if ok I'll have it align bored and decked along with boring. I'm going to see if he can get .020 over pistons. No sense going anymore than I have too.
econo racer
Expert
Expert

Post by econo racer »

How do you know that you can"t run the bore standard? I have run some before and checked out great. :D
PackardV8
Guru
Guru

Post by PackardV8 »

exhaustgases wrote: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:12 pm I haven't had it done in a long time, but I would think with $100 plus an hour shop rate that a good balancing job would be closer to $500. Don't shops factor in the cost of the machine or just machine time? I guess you get what you pay for.
FWIW, here's how it most likely works; as I mentioned earlier, the pistons and rods are usually within two grams out of the box, so no work or machine time required. For the crank, they do so many of the same combo, they've got the bob weights assembled, so it's just a matter of spinning up the crank and maybe drilling one or two holes.

The additional $125 for the "race balance" is to get the rods and pistons within a gram. Often, that's a simple as weighing them. Today, they're often already within a gram.
Jack Vines
Studebaker-Packard V8 Limited
Obsolete Engineering
carzngunz

Post by carzngunz »

I think PackardV8 hit the nail on the head. I have seen several of their rotating assemblies first hand. None of the pistons or rods that I saw had any metal removed. All of the cranks were freshly drilled though. All of the kits that I have seen came with balancers and flexplates also.