406 sbc rotating assy

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

vht
406 sbc rotating assy

Post by vht »

Has anyone had any dealings with Skip White on buying a rotating assy? I'm wanting to build a 406 for my next project, I found a really nice 2 bolt main 400 low mileage block and want to build a pretty stout street engine. It'll be internally balanced and they stated for a $125 upgrade they will do the 'race balance' on the assy. It has a Scay crank, I beam rods, and Wiseco pistons. It won't be spun much over 6000 so I'd think the kit can handle that. Also, the old tale about drilling steam holes in the heads isn't needed on a street motor, is it?
Tom Walker
Pro
Pro

Re: 406 sbc rotating assy

Post by Tom Walker »

I always thought it was the "street" type applications of the 400 that needed the steam holes, as a more race type of engine had higher R.P.M s with it's associated higher water pump speeds and water flow that helped push any air bubbles or steam pockets on down the road so to speak.
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

What a crock. For a certain price they will do a half ass job and for another $125 they will do it better. Notice I said "better" not right.
A company that does it that way is most likely not capable of doing it right.
cardo0

Post by cardo0 »

My experience tells me if I don't know whether I really need expensive parts then don't buy them. I don't know why you need to buy from SW? Summit will price match anyone and a few vendors can beat Summit or Jegs prices (Speedway motors, Northern Auto Parts, CNC-Motorsports).

Good luck and make fun.
74 corvette: 350 4 speed
94 Z28: Gen II 350 auto
lefty o
Guru
Guru

Post by lefty o »

my own opinion is that if you are going to have it balanced, have a local guy actually balance it vs. paying a vendor who may or may not do anything.
paulzig
Expert
Expert

Post by paulzig »

What is the difference between a race balance vs a normal balance? Either its balanced or not right?
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Most likely they have package deals where their rod and piston are close to the crank bob weight, the $125 is to actually put it on a machine and balance it.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
prairiehotrodder
Guru
Guru

Post by prairiehotrodder »

my only rule of thumb with 400's when doing a rebuild is to go .020 instead of .030. They have thinner cylinder walls in my experience and .020 is a better starting point if pistons are available.
Brian
The Word of God is quick and powerfull
www.therocketshop.blogspot.com
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

GARY C wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:32 am Most likely they have package deals where their rod and piston are close to the crank bob weight, the $125 is to actually put it on a machine and balance it.
Most likely this is it.
Pretty common practice with the "kit" sellers.
I also say have it done locally.
From time to time I get to straighten out some of the balance messes this practice leaves.
Let's just say I have had more than one good deal "balanced rotating assemblies" that zero material had been removed or added.
This is pretty much an impossible scenario when you have parts from here, there and way over there and all pieces are sold on the low bidder plan.

They are betting on averages working out and that phone call doesn't happen.
At 125 bucks (not realistic) I guarantee they are not going to fine tune the pistons and rods.
I also bet that they have a bobweight already made up, betting the average weight of the rods and pistons are the same weights as the ones they measured 5 yrs ago.
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
rfoll
Guru
Guru

Post by rfoll »

https://www.summitracing.com/search/dep ... =Ascending. Everything I have heard about Skip White orders is there is always a problem.
So much to do, so little time...
NewbVetteGuy
Expert
Expert

Post by NewbVetteGuy »

GARY C wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:32 am Most likely they have package deals where their rod and piston are close to the crank bob weight, the $125 is to actually put it on a machine and balance it.
They state that they balance every rotating assembly on their CWT 5500 balancers within 2 grams for no extra charge and include the balance sheet (they have 3 CWT 5500 balancers so it seems reasonable that despite their huge volume that they're probably actually balancing them, IMHO).

With their "Race Balance", they weight match the pistons and rods to within 2 /10ths of a gram or less and then do the final balance within 1 gram.

Sounds like standard balance is just balance everything as-is to within 2 grams on the balance machine; race balance involves weight matching pistons and rods before balancing to within 1 gram. (Does that $125 get you anything of value for a <6,000 RPM street engine, is a different question...)

Adam
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

rfoll wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 12:04 pmEverything I have heard about Skip White orders is there is always a problem.
Does Skip White sell anything but bottom-feeder Chinese crap?
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

It does appear they are making an effort.

Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
vht

Post by vht »

I've heard of a few people buying from him and having good luck but there is also White performance and Machine, or something like that so I don't really know which one they are talking about. I was going to let my machine shop balance it and after talking to him he doesn't think to much of Scat. I'll just have him get me an Eagle assy, that's what I had in the 434 I had. As far as expensive parts, since I don't have nothing but a block I figure a cast crank with I beam rods and a good set of forged pistons isn't exactly going over board. By the time you find a stk crank, have it redone and do a set of stk rods, I'd just as soon pay a little bit more and do it right.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Dave Koehler wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:07 pm It does appear they are making an effort.

Thats good to see.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!