Pennzoil 20w50 Racing Oil

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Galon
Pennzoil 20w50 Racing Oil

Post by Galon »

Does anyone know what the reason was for Pennzoil discontinuing the 20w50 Racing oil?
modok
Guru
Guru
Re: Pennzoil 20w50 Racing Oil

Post by modok »

I guess that mightbea shame, If it was any good. I never heard a word about it. Maybe it wasn't? :P
I know that's no help, I'm just kinda suspecting....that, you ask ten guys and 9 of them will say that same thing.
makin chips
Pro
Pro

Post by makin chips »

modok wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 9:36 pm I guess that mightbea shame, If it was any good. I never heard a word about it. Maybe it wasn't? :P
I know that's no help, I'm just kinda suspecting....that, you ask ten guys and 9 of them will say that same thing.
They didn't stop producing it because of that, I'm sure. [-X
Galon

Post by Galon »

The Pennzoil 20w50 racing oil was very popular in our area. Engine wear on disassembly was minimal. Ring sell after builds was good with no foaming issues. Now the problem is a good replacement. Any suggestions without breaking the bank. Still looking for Pennzoils reason for discontinuing production of such a well liked product.
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

oh, darn it.
I'm going with Valvoline vr1, or Joe Gibbs.
vr1 is hard to beat all around.
Warp Speed
Guru
Guru

Post by Warp Speed »

Galon wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:42 am The Pennzoil 20w50 racing oil was very popular in our area. Engine wear on disassembly was minimal. Ring sell after builds was good with no foaming issues. Now the problem is a good replacement. Any suggestions without breaking the bank. Still looking for Pennzoils reason for discontinuing production of such a well liked product.
Small market would be my guess. Most who use a multi viscosity racing oil, use thinner examples these days, such as 0w-30, 0-50, 10w-30 ect. Most using anything more, are just using a single 50w, 60w ect.
Galon

Post by Galon »

After talking to a Pennzoil company representative, it all seems to come down to money. He had no definitive reason for the discontinuation of the product other than small market, small packaging and component price increases. In as many words, not profitable. I was also surprised to hear it was not a semi or full synthetic. All base crude. Surprising today with all of the synthetics being so popular. Warp Speed has pretty much summed it up. Thank You
Rick!
Expert
Expert

Post by Rick! »

Galon wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:42 am The Pennzoil 20w50 racing oil was very popular in our area. Engine wear on disassembly was minimal. Ring sell after builds was good with no foaming issues. Now the problem is a good replacement. Any suggestions without breaking the bank. Still looking for Pennzoils reason for discontinuing production of such a well liked product.
polyalphaolefin on YB seems to be experienced in oil analysis and performance.
midnightbluS10
Expert
Expert

Post by midnightbluS10 »

Galon wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:46 am After talking to a Pennzoil company representative, it all seems to come down to money. He had no definitive reason for the discontinuation of the product other than small market, small packaging and component price increases. In as many words, not profitable. I was also surprised to hear it was not a semi or full synthetic. All base crude. Surprising today with all of the synthetics being so popular. Warp Speed has pretty much summed it up. Thank You
Not surprising here. Basic Castrol 5w30 stands up to most synthetics in wear protection ratings. Even Chevron Supreme has a higher wear rating(100,000+ psi) than most of the popular oils.
JC -

bigjoe1 wrote:By the way, I had a long talk with Harold(Brookshire) last year at the PRI show. We met at the airport and he told me everything he knew about everything.It was a nice visit. JOE SHERMAN RACING
autogear
Vendor

Post by autogear »

Pennzoil 20w50 may or may not be a great oil. But, the people who use 20w50, seem to grab VR1. Sometimes you can have the better product, but not the long distance horses to win the market over. Pennzoil would have to invest literal tons of money before making a noticeable dent in VR1 sales nationwide. The only strategy that makes sense for that is simply to pull a leg out from under valvoline...but its still a drop in the bucket as Warp and others have said.
Fireonthemountain
Pro
Pro

Post by Fireonthemountain »

And don't forget there is also Castrol 20-50 :)
Pete1

Post by Pete1 »

How popular is Pro-V?
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

Yeah, I think Warp Speeds comments pretty much sum up the situation. Not many engine builders are using (nor recommending) the high viscosity oils. Those who are adament about using high viscosity oils are probably using straight 50W.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
MassimoD

Post by MassimoD »

Warp Speed wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 7:48 am
Small market would be my guess. Most who use a multi viscosity racing oil, use thinner examples these days, such as 0w-30, 0-50, 10w-30 ect. Most using anything more, are just using a single 50w, 60w ect.
Based on that what 10w-30 oils are out there that are recommended? And does zinc content really matter?
modok
Guru
Guru

Post by modok »

Good question......yes and no
The zinc content does matter, but it's not so much the sheer amount as what type, and what other additives are in there,
How long it's supposed to last. All the stuff in the auto parts stores is aimed to last a LONG time between change intervals, and the additive packs are balanced so they are not depleted early.

Since VR1 aims to ,ast maybe 3000 miles, or less, they don't need as much detergent, and the EP additives it DOES have are much faster acting although in an oil test you will see rather average numbers for zinc.
VR1 does seem to very good as protecting flat tappet cams and has some friction modifiers in there which give it a little HP advantage over others.....like brad penn, nobody disputes brad penn is a good stuff for flat tappet cams but also in every test I've seen they are down a few HP vs vr1

Don't forget MAXIMA, they also make some specialty oils
I don't know a lot about them, but I do lIKe to see some friendly competition.