General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

af2
Guru
Guru

Re: about a Nitro cackle engine

Post by af2 »

FC-Pilot wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:56 pm
Dragsinger wrote: Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:36 pm and of course, those model engines ran a mix of methanol and nitro. And for the last 15 years, I have raced both carb and injected methanol. The smell reminds me of the young years and those model engines.
I can appreciate that. My oldest sisters favorite smell in the world is the exhaust of and alky burner. Running an alky funnycar for years and also going to the drags as a very young girl she learned to love it. Now when she announced at a church gathering that her favorite smell was alcohol she did not understand why people gave her funny looks, until back at home that night when she realized most people only knew about alcohol for drinking. :oops:

Paul
HAHA I smelled a bunch this last weekend...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
GURU is only a name.
Adam
oldjohnno
Pro
Pro

Post by oldjohnno »

nitro2 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Belgian1979 wrote: Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:56 pm A question came up with what was written. Maybe a dumb question but here goes : how do you control the burn of a nitro charge. I don't know much of a nigfo engine but unless like a turbo diesel engine where you would directly inject into the cylinder in several injection events, I do not see how you could spread that burn in an engine that gets its fuel in the intake tract.
Nitro is a peculiar fuel in practically every aspect, and the way it burns is dictated by several things. You don't have to control how the nitro gets into the engine in order to adjust the burn, whereas on a turbo diesel controlling the injection is one of the main ways, (but not the only way), to control how the burn proceeds. At the end of the day the burn can be readily tailored in both types of engines, but by different mechanisms.
C'mon Clint, give us a clue! I know next to nothing about nitro engines and the little exposure I've had with two stroke engines showed a couple of unusual behaviours. One was that the burn quality was linked to the amount of load on the engine - at heavy loads it burned smoothly, cleanly and made a lot of power. At light loads it was much more erratic and less responsive. It also seemed sensitive to chamber temps, liking lots of heat in comparison with gas.
Perfectionism is the enemy of actually getting shit done.
Belgian1979
Guru
Guru

Post by Belgian1979 »

I can see a situation where at heavy loads and more open throttle the charge in the engine is such that it 'swirls' more when being compressed leading to a more complete burn.

I also know that on diesel engines (the common rail variety) they control the engine based on crank speed acceleration and fuel pressure and fuel injector opening, whereby there are several injections during the power stroke (up to 7 in total are possible I think). The reason for introducing the fuel over various injection events in this particular case is to not exceed a certain burn temperature thereby reducing NOx and at the same time still being able to burn enough fuel to produce the power wanted.

However a diesel engine is direct injection. As said I don't see how one would be able to do this in an engine where a mixture is inhaled and you have a throttle plate. The answer of nitro is indeed a bit cryptic :D
tresi
Pro
Pro

Post by tresi »

I personally know someone that has a real 500 cubic inch blown nitro motor on a trailer. It will cackle a bit and at night there is a bit of flame. The problem with getting the full effect is that you need a clutch and a load on the engine. This gets quite dangerous to be around. Don't even try it. You can blow it up just trying to get it started.