water brake calibration

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rebelrouser
Guru
Guru
water brake calibration

Post by rebelrouser »

My retirement project was to build an engine dyno. Got an older 13 inch older dynamite water brake, for the project, got it all hooked up and trying to get it properly calibrated. Can anyone send me a picture of a calibration arm for this type of water brake? And where the best location to bolt it to the brake? need to fab something up.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Re: water brake calibration

Post by FC-Pilot »

You may want to go on Land and Sea’s user forum and ask there. You don’t have to buy from them to become a member. I have got lots of help there over the years.

Paul
"It's a fine line between clever and stupid." David St. Hubbins
rebelrouser
Guru
Guru

Post by rebelrouser »

FC-Pilot wrote: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:32 am You may want to go on Land and Sea’s user forum and ask there. You don’t have to buy from them to become a member. I have got lots of help there over the years.

Paul
I sent land and sea an email, the verification icon when you input your info won't work to let you join as a new member.
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Hopefully they respond and get you signed up. The forum is great for figuring stuff out. Can you view the forum and posts without signing up?

Paul
FC-Pilot
HotPass
HotPass

Post by FC-Pilot »

Ok I posted the same question on the forum and got some info. I also found some basic tutorials on the land and sea website. I will try to link both of them here. This should give you some ideas.

https://forums.dynomitedynamometer.com/ ... php?t=1408

https://www.dynomitedynamometer.com/dyn ... h-talk.htm
And then click on the max load cell calibration. It has a cheesy but useful video to help show it.

Paul
mk e
Guru
Guru

Post by mk e »

I recently got an old go-power setup and was thinking about calibration too. In the manual they talk about a calibration arm that comes marked with what the load for the arm itself is....I don't have it of course.

There are formulas to calculate it....or it could just be made symmetric so it adds 0 torque.

I also spoke to a go-power tech and learned that on my old hydraulic setup 1psi=1ftlb torque so really I just need to calibrate the gauge which can be done with a pretty simple setup the doesn'trequire me storing and lifting hundreds of lbs of weights...12lbs sitting on a 1/8"piston is 1000psi which is the 1000ftlb limit for the system I have, easy.

My plan is to add a pressure transducer to feed the torque data to my ecu to log with all the other engine data, and add a dyno screen to the laptop with a normal looking hp and torque graph. Someday I'd like to also add automated dyno control.....but the focus will be just getting it working right 1st.
Mark
Mechanical Engineer