Re-use steel head gasket

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

rcull

Re-use steel head gasket

Post by rcull »

The gasket is a single layer steel gasket, the engine a Buick straight eight, cast iron block and head.
I have never re-used a head gasket, and I was just looking around the web and there seems to be a fair amount of support for it.
My situation was a startup problem which has caused me to have to pull the head and reinstall it. I would rather not wait for a replacement gasket (probably at least a week).
The head had been surfaced, the block decked, so the situation is probably as good as you could get. The engine was run about 20 minutes before disassembly. I was considering using a copper gasket coating and reinstalling it.
What's your experience?
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Re: Re-use steel head gasket

Post by gmrocket »

Clean it , spray it with copper coat and install...multiple times if you want on that deal
engineguyBill
Guru
Guru

Post by engineguyBill »

I would never reuse a steel shim head gasket. It will not seal the second time, regardless of the goop you put on it.
Bill

Perfect Circle Doctor of Motors certification
SAE Member (30 years)
ASE Master Certified Engine Machinist (+ two otherASE Master Certifications)
AERA Certified Professional Engine Machinist
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

engineguyBill wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:26 pm I would never reuse a steel shim head gasket. It will not seal the second time, regardless of the goop you put on it.
Wrong, I've been reusing them for years after NHRA inspection with a bunch more cylinder pressure that his would ever dream of seeing.

Still together after many reuses...years later.

Just ask anyone who gets torn down regularly
dondon

Post by dondon »

went thru teardown at a divisional event. didn't have another steel shim gasket, reused old one, ran same times next day, just copper coated old gasket
bentvalves
Expert
Expert

Post by bentvalves »

gmrocket wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 pm
engineguyBill wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:26 pm I would never reuse a steel shim head gasket. It will not seal the second time, regardless of the goop you put on it.
Wrong, I've been reusing them for years after NHRA inspection with a bunch more cylinder pressure that his would ever dream of seeing.

do you prefer hylomar or copper spray to reuse these gaskets?
ProPower engines
Guru
Guru

Post by ProPower engines »

rcull wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:11 pm The gasket is a single layer steel gasket, the engine a Buick straight eight, cast iron block and head.
I have never re-used a head gasket, and I was just looking around the web and there seems to be a fair amount of support for it.
My situation was a startup problem which has caused me to have to pull the head and reinstall it. I would rather not wait for a replacement gasket (probably at least a week).
The head had been surfaced, the block decked, so the situation is probably as good as you could get. The engine was run about 20 minutes before disassembly. I was considering using a copper gasket coating and reinstalling it.
What's your experience?
A single steel shim gasket..............its been done every week at track events with no issues.Spray a few coats of copper gasket spray OR Hylomar would be best but short of that several coats and let tack up between coats and no worries.
Guys do it with both single shim style gaskets as well as the newer MLS and never have issues.

is it the standard practice in your case no. A new gasket should go in but if the gasket is not damaged in any way
then coat it and put it back in. You will never see any difference in sealing.
Real Race Cars Don't Have Doors
Krooser
Guru
Guru

Post by Krooser »

My first experience with reusing head gaskets was in '67.

I worked at Humphrey Chevrolet in Milwaukee and was shocked when I saw the HD mechanics reuse a shim headgasket on a job where the complaint was a leaky headgasket!

They'd slobber on some Indian Head gasket goo and bolt it back on...done!

But that was nothing compared to watching them pull a 327 head without removing the intake manifold!!!
Honored to be a member of the Luxemburg Speedway Hall of Fame Class of 2019
gmrocket
Guru
Guru

Post by gmrocket »

bentvalves wrote: Fri Sep 27, 2019 12:10 am
gmrocket wrote: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:39 pm

do you prefer hylomar or copper spray to reuse these gaskets?
I use permatex copper coat . I find that other stuff to messy