Service Life of Steel H-Beam Rods

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Johnson
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Service Life of Steel H-Beam Rods

Post by Kevin Johnson »

It appears that the bolt "flange" or outer head circumference is not matched to the rod and caused a stress raiser leading to the cracks. If you examine modern Carrillo rods this is not present.
carrillo rod cap with one crack.JPG
carrillo rod cap with 2 cracks.JPG
carrillo-5285997251_4000x.progressive.jpg
Carrillo_Pro-H_Rods_1024x1024.jpg
bill jones wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:14 pm ---this left side picture is a Carrillo rod with one crack---and the second picture is a Carrillo rod with 3 cracks between the red marks.
---two different engines from good late model stock car 8000rpm engines in the late 1970's.

---both engines had two full seasons of short oval track racing.
---this was when we could only get about 13 honest races out of any engine with fully prepped stock rods and making about 500hp.

---so we were happy to be able to get two full years and finding these cracks were our best way of saving our engines.
---those cracks go over under the rod bolt head and down into the hole about the same distance
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Driving Force Online: BREAKING NEWS—Ohio Governor Signs SEMA-Supported Vehicle Freedom Bill Into Law!
bill jones
Guru
Guru

Re: Service Life of Steel H-Beam Rods

Post by bill jones »

---Those rod bolts are some odd stuff I had---I saved the Carrillo WSB bolts---and now I have the cracked rods honed & sized on both ends to use as a standard for setting up my AG300 Sunnen gauges.
---so these particular bolts had nothing to do with the rods in engine they were in.