Compression/Nitrous

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Kevin Willis

Compression/Nitrous

Post by Kevin Willis »

In general, if you were building an engine specifically for nitrous. What compression would you shoot for ?
Alaskaracer
Expert
Expert

Re: Compression/Nitrous

Post by Alaskaracer »

Depends on your ultimate goal, but compression is only one part of the puzzle. Camshaft and combustion chamber are HUGE factors in this. On my junk, I'm at 16.5:1 static, and camshaft was custom. My stuff was set up to spray at high altitude, so I'm running a bit more compression and different profile of cam than most would. I'm in Florida now, so my combo really isn't very nitrous friendly here....At sea level, about 14:1 or slightly higher, with appropriate cam and cylinder head mods is considered the most. If this is a max effort build, I'd be on the phone with an engine builder that does a lot of nitrous stuff and LISTEN to what they tell you......
Mark Goulette
Owner/Driver of the Livin' The Dream rear engine dragster
Speed kills but it's better than going slow!
http://www.livinthedreamracing.com
Authorized Amsoil Retailer
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass
Re: Compression/Nitrous

Post by GARY C »

I have a fuel customer that runs a BBC 570+ ci at 14 or 14.5 compression on c23 fuel, his car is a consistent 4.70ish 1/8 mile drag radial set up. He was having trouble melting pistons in a cpl of holes, same ones each time regardless of individual fogger jetting and timing for those 2 holes, so they tried progressively softening the chambers till they ended up in the 12.1/12.5 range but it did not fix the problem and the car consistently lost 2 tenths so he is putting the compression back in it.
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!