Stage #2 289 FORD heads(DONT MOVE MIKE)

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

The Iron Icon
Stage #2 289 FORD heads(DONT MOVE MIKE)

Post by The Iron Icon »

Mike,
This is my post – please don’t move it to DV’s section I’d really like to get talking about this stuff.
With everything going on I have sort of lost where I am.
First take a look at the finished stage 2 (SEATS CUT) 289 chamber photo below. I think I am getting the hang of this iron porting( And Charlie haven’t forgot about you, just had some family stuff come up.).
The STAGE 1 (used original seats) spec of this head is how DV has his porting school beginners do their heads. Seats as per original (not recut but protected during porting with a protector valve) as are valve sizes( didn’t change size for stage 2 but maybe stage 3 that will be another casting that’s often overlooked). The dyno numbers are for a similarly ported set by one of DV’s student from about 5 years ago.
Next step here is that I needed some seat and guide machine experience. What was done here is that I recut the seats using a proven hi-flo Goodson form that we have used a lot in the shop.
With the seat machining blended in we saw increases in the flow, velocity & energy numbers are as shown in the graphs. Stock curves are the thin lines. Note everything is positive!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
RevTheory
Guru
Guru
Re: Stage #2 289 FORD heads(DONT MOVE MIKE)

Post by RevTheory »

Are you probing for local velocities yet, Phil?
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Phil,
If you hit the PrtSc as JPG button you will get a much nicer looking graph / picture to post.

Stan
Flow_Saturday_September_28_2019_15_22_14.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Stan Weiss/World Wide Enterprises
Offering Performance Software Since 1987
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/carfor.htm
David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

RevTheory wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:03 pm Are you probing for local velocities yet, Phil?
Cant say that i am, and funny you mention it because I've been wondering about a few areas.

Stan i will do that next time, thanks for the tip.
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

I don't see you asking anything.
What's your technical question?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

The Iron Icon wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:59 pm Mike,
This is my post – please don’t move it to DV’s section I’d really like to get talking about this stuff.
First take a look at the finished stage 2 (SEATS CUT) 289 chamber photo below. I think I am getting the hang of this iron porting( And Charlie haven’t forgot about you, just had some family stuff come up.).
The STAGE 1 (used original seats) spec of this head is how DV has his porting school beginners do their heads. Seats as per original (not recut but protected during porting with a protector valve) as are valve sizes( didn’t change size for stage 2 but maybe stage 3 that will be another casting that’s often overlooked). The dyno numbers are for a similarly ported set by one of DV’s student from about 5 years ago.
Next step here is that I needed some seat and guide machine experience. What was done here is that I recut the seats using a proven hi-flo Goodson form that we have used a lot in the shop.
With the seat machining blended in we saw increases in the flow, velocity & energy numbers are as shown in the graphs. Stock curves are the thin lines. Note everything is positive!
Phil,
What is the intake port cc's for the ported head? Intake Velocity seems high to me.

Stan
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:55 pm
The Iron Icon wrote: Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:59 pm Mike,
Phil,
What is the intake port cc's for the ported head? Intake Velocity seems high to me.

Stan
I thought the same thing and was wondering what the mcs was in size and speed?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

Phil, to add to what Stan and Gary C. have asked, are you porting this head with a specific cubic inch and rpm in mind? That may help get the discussion going so it becomes technical and Mike isn't forced to move it from the tech board.
Stan Weiss
Vendor

Post by Stan Weiss »

Phil,

Stan
Phil,
Actually I got my colors mixed up. I was asking about the exhaust. Red line.

Stan
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

Off the top of my head 155cc intake, I'm most likely going to be putting on a 306 reving to about 6500.

Still haven't done anything out side of bowl work,seat, and push rod bump. Anything else that would show some easy gains with these heads? Haven't done any Ssr work to them. If i can get 215cfm (206 cfm now)out of the heads with stock valve size im happy. I actully have a few spare sets of some heads that no one likes and have plans to do the same as these heads plus the risky stuff to the castings that arnt worth much to me (chamber looks way better stock on them to)
CamKing
Guru
Guru

Post by CamKing »

Still not seeing a technical question?
Mike Jones
Jones Cam Designs

Denver, NC
jonescams@bellsouth.net
http://www.jonescams.com
Jones Cam Designs' HotPass Vendors Forum: viewforum.php?f=44
(704)489-2449
RevTheory
Guru
Guru

Post by RevTheory »

The Iron Icon wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:26 am Off the top of my head 155cc intake, I'm most likely going to be putting on a 306 reving to about 6500.

Still haven't done anything out side of bowl work,seat, and push rod bump. Anything else that would show some easy gains with these heads? Haven't done any Ssr work to them. If i can get 215cfm (206 cfm now)out of the heads with stock valve size im happy. I actully have a few spare sets of some heads that no one likes and have plans to do the same as these heads plus the risky stuff to the castings that arnt worth much to me (chamber looks way better stock on them to)
Phil, if that Vortec mold is still laying around, see how much of the throat shape, especially the shape of the short turn as it transitions into the throat, can be incorporated into yours. IIRC, they're at 87% of the valve diameter.

There may be too much difference between the two makes for you to use any of it but it's worth a shot being that you haven't messed with the short turn yet. Velocity across the floor leading up to and at the apex would be handy info to have.
GARY C
HotPass
HotPass

Post by GARY C »

Stan Weiss wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:07 am
Phil,

Stan
Phil,
Actually I got my colors mixed up. I was asking about the exhaust. Red line.

Stan
I made that same mistake, I am not sure how you can correlate what the graph shows to what port is actually doing without cc's, cs and measured local port velocity's, considering that is how everyone in the industry evaluates a head I don't see how and one can help without that exact info?
Please Note!
THE ABOVE POST IN NO WAY REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF SPEED TALK OR IT'S MEMBERS AND SHOULD BE VIEWED AS ENTERTAINMENT ONLY...Thanks, The Management!
The Iron Icon

Post by The Iron Icon »

I can try to check for velocity next weekend if all works put. With family medical problems and the fact I had a run in with a deer saturday evening I can't really find time to get much done.

Anyone know how much the head could pick up if we went to a bigger valve? 1.8x?
Carnut1
Guru
Guru

Post by Carnut1 »

The Iron Icon wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:26 am Off the top of my head 155cc intake, I'm most likely going to be putting on a 306 reving to about 6500.

To get 215 you will need to radius and widen the ssr a bit. Get airspeeds the way they are. After working the ssr the airspeed may go up or down. If it can handle the higher speeds that would work on a 6500 rpm motor.
Servedio Cylinder Head Development
631-816-4911
9:00am - 9:00pm EST