New pistons 73g heavier

General engine tech -- Drag Racing to Circle Track

Moderator: Team

Knight rider
Re: New pistons 73g heavier

Post by Knight rider »

I did look at maybe getting another crank, it is only cast-that is another story in itself as it was paid for a forged kit the forged crankshaft, pistons and H rods.

I had no luck finding a crank it would need to have 3.850 stroke with std Cleveland b/end journal size good luck with that they said lol
anyway thanks for all the input everyone I'll think it over but think I may still get some lighter pins and have it balanced so I'm not worried about it cheers
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

I checked those .095 pins on the trend site, they are 88gm. With that weight in mind it looks like you can go up in wall thickness....
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

shoedoos wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:31 am I checked those .095 pins on the trend site, they are 88gm. With that weight in mind it looks like you can go up in wall thickness....
Thanks for that link
I did look at them as well, I'm not sure what pins are suitable for street application but would like to bring the weight down a little cheers
shoedoos
Expert
Expert

Post by shoedoos »

before you charge on, it might be worth confirming the weights of your pins, I didn't think 130gm pins were standard issue with JE/SRP pistons, you might find they are 150gm....
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

shoedoos wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:45 am before you charge on, it might be worth confirming the weights of your pins, I didn't think 130gm pins were standard issue with JE/SRP pistons, you might find they are 150gm....
I have weighed them they are 130g cheers
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

I'm going to be ordering these trend pins at 88g that's a saving of 42g so I'll be only 31g underbalanced so I'm sure that will be fine, unless for some reason this pin isn't a good idea in a street car ? Also I couldn't see the specs on the trend website but the seller confirmed the weight at 88g cheers and thanks again

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Trend-H927- ... 1716871705
Kurshuk

Post by Kurshuk »

Knight rider wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:59 pm I'm going to be ordering these trend pins at 88g that's a saving of 42g so I'll be only 31g underbalanced so I'm sure that will be fine, unless for some reason this pin isn't a good idea in a street car ? Also I couldn't see the specs on the trend website but the seller confirmed the weight at 88g cheers and thanks again

When you call Trend talk to them about you application. I wouldn't go below 150 wall with your application... but that's just me.

Good luck with your build!
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

Kurshuk wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:38 pm
Knight rider wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:59 pm I'm going to be ordering these trend pins at 88g that's a saving of 42g so I'll be only 31g underbalanced so I'm sure that will be fine, unless for some reason this pin isn't a good idea in a street car ? Also I couldn't see the specs on the trend website but the seller confirmed the weight at 88g cheers and thanks again

When you call Trend talk to them about you application. I wouldn't go below 150 wall with your application... but that's just me.

Good luck with your build!
Thanks, makes you wonder what app they would suit then ?
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Anecdotal story......

Stock rebuild on a previously rebuilt 396bbc.

Many things were more screwed up with the build than originally quoted for.
Balancing wasn’t in the budget.
Bought stock replacement Badger cast pistons for it.
New pistons weighed 60g more than what came out of it.

I reasoned that through all the years of Badger selling those pistons, not every motor they were put it got balanced.
I also remembered reading in the old Jenkins SBC book how they balanced cranks the same....... even though they would vary the pistons and rods depending on what they were doing with the motor, and I’m pretty sure the bob weights he was talking about were over 100g apart.

So, I just put it together with the heavy pistons.

I dynoed the motor........ smooth as glass.
Smooth as glass in the car too.
Somewhat handy with a die grinder.
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

Thanks always good to hear info be it good or bad from doing a similar thing, just like running h-13 .095" thin wall pins, can't really find any info on it, if I was hearing I've run those and it failed I'd have my answer. Cheers
Last edited by Knight rider on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Koehler
Vendor

Post by Dave Koehler »

PRH wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 pm Anecdotal story......

I reasoned that through all the years of Badger selling those pistons, not every motor they were put it got balanced.
I also remembered reading in the old Jenkins SBC book how they balanced cranks the same....... even though they would vary the pistons and rods depending on what they were doing with the motor, and I’m pretty sure the bob weights he was talking about were over 100g apart.

I am not dissing you or your results. Just wondering.
There was no budget for balancing but there was for dyno time?
Seems misplaced
Dave Koehler - Koehler Injection
Enderle Fuel Injection - Nitrous Charger - Balancing - Nitrous Master software
http://www.koehlerinjection.com
"Never let a race car know that you are in a hurry."
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

I put 75g tool steel pins in some Ross pistons I had done for my old 340 Mopar.
Stock piston and pin were 889g....... replacements were 525g(450 + 75).
Lots of holes drilled in that crank to get it balanced.

I turned that motor 7500....... never had any issues...... but that only had a 3.31” stroke.
PRH
Guru
Guru

Post by PRH »

Dave Koehler wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:37 pm
PRH wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:50 pm Anecdotal story......

I am not dissing you or your results. Just wondering.
There was no budget for balancing but there was for dyno time?
Seems misplaced
The original quote included the money for the dyno. He wanted to make sure the cam was broken in and there no leaks before putting it in the car.

I saw no ill affects from the heavier pistons.

Just think of all the small one and two man shops located inside an auto parts store...... that didn’t offer, or have easy access to balancing equipment, and all the countless sets of pistons that had been installed on rods......without anyone ever weighing anything.

I’m sure for the budget oriented stuff coming out of the volume rebuilders, it was a similar situation.
Knight rider

Post by Knight rider »

My new lighter H13 pins turned up so that's one step forward. Another little hurdle or question the rods I'm using are 351W tunnel size not cleveland like I thought, crank journals are the same but the rods are about .010" smaller. I have already received my acl race cleveland b/end bearings so the question is can you see a problem having the rods machine .010" to take cleveland bearing.
Is having bearing that are thicker a plus ? as the clevelands are around.005" thicker each shell.
My only concern was maybe the notch for the bearing if I have them machined .010 larger - cost to machine them isn't the issue I have that covered.

The ACL race bearing have larger chamfer already not sure what Windsor bearing would suit without chamfering them. Cheers
Schurkey
HotPass
HotPass

Post by Schurkey »

Knight rider wrote: Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:27 pmthe stroker kit I used was a procomp one
Good thing you didn't buy an expensive stroker kit. Can you imagine how much it would have cost to get top-quality parts reworked?